Do you collect or have interest in other TCGs?

Hi all!

I’m curious to hear some other opinions here.

I had an interest in Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh in addition to Pokémon growing up, and while I have some cards from the early sets of each TCG, respectively, I am only buying modern from Pokémon. However, my modern purchases are generally only if an anniversary set or promotion card interests me. I may purchase other modern cards/sets, but I don’t intend to make a habit out of it. Pokémon SV2a (151) is the only standard released set from any TCG I have purchased since 2007!

I don’t know if I will regain interest in Magic: The Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh, but I occasionally look through my cards and reminisce.

Did you, or do you, have an interest in or have collections of cards from other TCGs?

Also, if there are any other sets worthwhile from Pokémon, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, or another TCG, please do share your opinions!

1 Like

For sure, I played and collected Pokemon, MTG, and Yu-Gi-Oh in the late 90s/early 2000s. I played MTG the most overall and have a lot of good memories playing it back then. I don’t really play it much now and instead focus mainly on just collecting the cards I played with as a child. I also ventured into the earlier vintage sets a fair amount over the years, so I have a sizable collection built. With respect to Yu-Gi-Oh I am 100% vintage there too, basically only interested in the earliest sets and collecting them from time to time.

With Pokemon, that is where I’ve collected the most between vintage and modern. I am heavily into vintage, but have gone for some modern cards primarily from XY, S&M and SWSH. The most recent additions being the 151 S&V set which I love as a long-time fan as well. I’ve also been increasingly interested in the Japanese side of Pokemon as there’s a lot of unique and interesting cards there compared to English.

The only other TCG that has sparked my interest the past few years is FaB (Flesh & Blood). It’s played a fair amount where I live and has a low barrier cost to entry. I think it’s a cool game and easy to learn, great for quick 1v1 games which is what I enjoyed the most about MTG back when I played it a lot as a kid. It has a collector market as well, but I feel it’s slowed up a lot since Covid like most TCGs have. I’d recommend checking it out though, it’s unique/different enough from the existing TCGs that so far it has been able to survive and actually has a growing amount of players and tournaments since it’s release.

1 Like

I’d like to collect other tcgs more, mainly yugioh and mtg, but im already so busy with pokemon. Its also the one I enjoy the most :man_shrugging:

Most of my yugioh cards are still in bags like this

3 Likes

I casually collect Dragon Ball Heroes alongside Pokemon.
Final Fantasy TCG, but I haven’t bought a card for a couple years.
Persona series WS Signatures when they come up.

4 Likes

Na

5 Likes

I collect and play MTG. I’ve been meaning to put together some Yu-Gi-Oh binders, but haven’t gotten around to it just yet.

I have interest in Lorcana for the art, but the controversies and scalping have made me stay away. Maybe in a few years when things have died down, I’ll go back and put some binders together.

2 Likes

Big no from me. My wallet can’t handle multiple tcg’s

3 Likes

I will occasionally grab cards from other tcgs that spark my interest. Like a smokey the bear promo from metazoo. Its cute af and says “only you can prevent wildfires”. Also have some digimon, yu gi oh, and dbz.
Hes adorable

2 Likes

Besides Pokemon I collect other tcg’s such as Weiss Schwarz, Z/X, Precious Memories, Rebirth For You, WWF/WWE, Lycee Overture, Osica, and ChoasTCG. Wixoss and Cardfight Vanguard will probably be next on my list soon.

3 Likes

I used to play Magic. It’s a fun game but WotC has turned into a completely intolerable company so I won’t spend money or participate in anything centered around their current product.

I still go after the odd Star Wars CCG item when I can. Disney and Star Wars have the same issues as Wizards so I won’t go near the new stuff, but I do love the classic IP still and a dead card game from the late 90s is a great way to continue to experience it.

5 Likes

I am a pretty big MLB Showdown collector. For anyone that does not know the TCG, it was produced by Wizards of the Coast from 2000-2005 and it was an amazing baseball simulator game while still being a lot of fun to collect. The TCG still has a dedicated following today. Since it’s WotC the print quality is pretty horrible so it is fun hunting errors. Not many others in that community collect error cards.

1 Like

I have a side collection of character cards from various anime shows that Weiss Schwarz converted into their TCG sets. It cost like 50Cents to 2USD per card, but the time and effort to hunt them down by diving through mountains of bulk was just a blast! Discovering a new TCG without any research and prior knowledge is an experience in itself.

I also have a collection of harry potter chocolate frog uhm… card inserts? They are pentagon-shaped and you get one with each chocolate frog. I think there’s supposed to be 7 or 9. So far i have Nicolas Flamel, Godric Gryfindor, and Helga Hufflepuff. Its a fun thing to do when i visit the USJ theme park, but not one i want to complete in one go. I have no idea where i even put the first 2 cards, probably lost through the years.

Multiple TCGs would be too expensive.

I do like to keep updated on what Lorcana is releasing though I can’t justify the prices for the Enchanted cards.

I would like to but it’s too expensive to juggle multiple, so it’s mostly Pokemon and Yugioh.
-OCG Yugioh has been killing it these past couple years imo.
-dbs got really boring compared to the competition
-I like Weiss but don’t know most of the IP they pull from
-magic just seems to all over the place

I only collect Pokemon and that isn’t going to change, but I appreciate english Duel Masters and early Magic.

1 Like

Pokemon introduced me to TCGs - so I played it until I got into Yugioh for 2 years. Played THAT to death in high school until 2 scenarios: I’ve blabbed enough about the common story of why I stopped but one of the other reasons why I went back into Pokemon was because for about 8 months, I had traded my way to getting all of the cards I wanted for my Spellcaster/Dragon deck. Played it for 1 tournament (lost to an Exodia kid on my first game), and then a handful of games before the Official Ban List updated (back then, there wasn’t a Reserved List - it was a straight up Ban List that updated once every 6 months) only to find out…

That about a 3rd of the cards I finally got were banned, making my deck unplayable. I was livid.

So I stopped playing any TCG after that and only collected Pokemon. I had avoided trying Magic for years because I was convinced it was too convoluted, but two of my best friends in college finally convinced me to try and I’ve been hooked ever since. I consider them family now and we meet up usually twice a year and each time we end up playing for hours. It’s a good time. I also found I enjoy making theme decks - so there’s that.

2 Likes

Sorry for the double post, but I just realized I did the same thing with my Yugioh Cards - kept a ton of them in ziploc bags. Was this a thing?

I have a collection of tobacco cards with birds on them

I’m thinking about collecting Vampire Savior TCG (Capcom Action Card Game by Jesnet). They don’t pop up often, but you still can find them on japanese or chinese second hand markets.

3 Likes

I have a large amount of Yu Gi Oh cards from my childhood and add some cards to this collection here and there. I used to have a small MTG collection, however unfortunately I sold them a couple of years ago. Now I just have a couple of cards left.