Do you collect or have interest in other TCGs?

I used to collect Yu-Gi-Oh parallel to Pokémon … until I traded my Rokket Revolt Deck for some Pokémon Reverse Holos … I don’t regret it, but I kinda miss my Rokket Revolt Deck.
I got interested in collecting Yu-Gi-Oh again (without leaving Pokémon TCG of course), so I’ll buy that Structure Deck again in a certain point …

I also have interest in collecting other TCGs that almost nobody remember … mostly the Club Penguin TCG, Non-Pokémon e-Cards (Hamtaro-e, Domo Kun-e, etc) and KND cards (yes, the Cartoon Network cartoon had a TCG series developed by WoTC in mid 2000s) …

1 Like

I sometimes toy with idea of collecting dragon ball or Lotr-cards, also i’ve been eying up some of my favourite ice hockey players cards but i don’t believe i’ll ever buy even a single one of them. For some reason the idea of having cards representing only humans has started to feel more and more odd an even a bit repulsive, even if they are drawn human ones. Might be me being more cynical nowdays, especially when my favourite ice hockey player that i idolized a lot turned out being quite a jerk. I do have my full art trainer pokemon cards (even though i usually just save the ones i open myself and very rarely buy them) but it feels slightly different when they aren’t the bread and butter of the tcg.

1 Like

This is why I don’t get sports cards. Especially modern day sports cards where the ‘illustration’ is a photograph with some basic design elements. Even the patch is mass produced.

Also, all these guys are good at are sports. You don’t know them no matter what social media portrays them as. They don’t deserve to be idolized for what they do on the pitch/court/rink etc. It just means they are good players not good people.

But America has a weird obsession with certain sports that there is a greater budget for them at colleges than the rest of the subjects and students.

1 Like

Revolver was such an amazing Vrains anti-hero

I primarily collect Pokemon, but I also grab FFTCG cards I like, a little bit of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I succumbed to the Sorcery TCG hype so I have a bunch of that.

I had tons of digimon cards as a kid and recently looked into the new era of cards. May pick up just a handful of my fav characters; they also have full art/art rares which is nice.
I’ve seen lots of cards that look like they were illustrated by kawayoo and I wonder if there’s any illustrator crossover.

1 Like

I’ve tried to open some packs and they didn’t bring me back to the olden days of when I also used to collect Digimon. I think I really liked the older cards - the art felt more intense.

I almost forgot. On top of Digimon, my sister and I also used to collect Monster Rancher cards along with the figures:

1 Like

I really want to get into Yugioh because it’s really nostalgic just like pokemon. But want to accomplish one more pokemon goal before diving in

2 Likes

Idk if itd be the same as it is for me but i get my yu gi oh fix by playing master duel. I think its free on most systems and its actually pretty fun.

1 Like

Been thinking about giving it a try!

1 Like

I got into MTG (Specifically Commander) with a group of 7 friends in early 2021 and it lasted until late last year. It’s a blast to play and build decks. It’s much less fun keeping up with the absurd pace of WotC’s release schedule for new sets, premium sets, universe beyond theme decks, reprints, changes to game mechanics, booster types and pull rates, and the ever-increasing price of new cards. Whether or not the prices are driven by Hasbro being money grubbing pricks, the generally awful economy and inflation, or both really makes no difference to my wallet.

I just got burnt out on anything new. I still have 12 decks fully assembled ready to play whenever my friends and I get together, but I haven’t made any new purchases since last Fall.

Pokemon is solely for collecting in my book. Even when my budget shifts I can still spend $30-50 each month on a few new cards to chip away at binders. It’s consistently rewarding for me.

3 Likes

Pre 2012 i was really big into magic. Played a lot at our lcs and bought every product id find at walmart, target, etc. Blue and green merfolk tribal mostly but i had an artifact deck that was pretty fun too. Also rocked a blue and black zombie token deck that i had a blast with. Sold everything when my first son was born in 2012. I have 3 cards now and i dont think i could go back. Lost way to much. I play arena though so that helps. As for yu gi oh im a big fan of the og shows and i play a couple different games on the ps5 to get my fix. I have a few cards from other tcgs that catch my eye and i would be down to collect its more of a money thing. It would be an issue if i was spending more money on other cards. I have kids and stuff so i have to be responsible sometimes :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’m so deep into Magic it’s painful. Still play regularly and am always building EDH and Pauper decks. The vast majority of my collectible purchases are on MTG cards most months. Pokemon has actually sort of become my “side” hobby lately.

4 Likes

My artifact deck was kind of built around trepidation blade and etched champion. Probably pretty basic but back then it was super fun to play. The token deck was based around endless ranks of the dead and that would just wreck my friends lol

2 Likes

Haha nice! I’m picking up singles from Outlaws of Thunder Junction now. Just also picked up the Food and Fellowship LOTR precon to have a lower power deck for commander. My play group plays at a pretty high level and cedh occasionally. So just needed something more chill when not playing with a bunch of tryhards haha.

2 Likes

Told myself id buy some fallout cards and then didnt. so it goes

2 Likes

I said the same thing about dbs cards and I just kept putting it off

1 Like

Yup, this is sort of what killed the ‘magic’ for MTG for me at times. Crazy amount of releases and almost impossible to keep track of, especially alongside Pokemon and other things I’m into these days. Still love collecting vintage MTG cards and sets from my childhood, and I will dabble in the odd modern release at times, but I rarely look forward to a new MTG release anymore.

Honestly, when I returned to MTG cards after my childhood it was so confusing. All the new game mechanics, EDH, Secret Lair, market for vintage & reserved list cards drastically changed, etc. In the early 2000s when I played, all people really cared about was playing the game casually or 1v1 format and building decks for fun.

The collector/vintage markets were still pretty niche it seems, although it existed for sure. I remember seeing an Alpha Black Lotus for the first time at an LGS where I live for $3000 and I thought it was such a crazy expensive card at the time, how times have changed :older_man:t2:.

1 Like