Do all WOTC cards have a 4th print 1999-2000 version?

I ask this because whenever I google it, it mentions the original base set specifically. Yet I have a few cards from the team rocket series which are 1999-2000 print. When they say base do they mean “the base sets” as in original sets from WOTC as opposed to literally the base set? (because I can’t understand this any other way).

Did WOTC release a 4th print for all the sets they made before handing it over to Nintendo? Clarification much appreciated!

I am no WOTC expert, but no, not all WOTC cards have a “4th print 1999-2000” version. This is almost unanimously referring to the original base set.

This is specifically for base set because there was a clear distinction between base unlimited and base “4th print”. That is, the year is slightly different at the bottom right corner (1999 Wizards):
Base Unlimited

Base 4th print:

Notice that while both are base unlimited, the bottom one said 1999-2000, instead of 1999. This signifies a 4th print edition of base. Other WOTC cards obviously have 1999-2000 because they were released during those years, but base specifically has this distinction. This is mentioned for base set due to a clear difference in copyright years, despite technically they are both released as base unlimited. Imagining opening two base unlimited packs, which are supposedly the same, yet this minor difference makes the cards non-identical. This is why there is a separation between base unlimited and base 4th print. 4th print base is also distributed internationally only, outside of North America (assuming you are from NA).

Hope this helps.

4th print refers to the 4th variation of the set. 1st edition -1, shadowless -2, unlimited -3, copywrite date 1999-2000 -4.
The only set without a copywrite date of 1999-2000, or later dates, is Jungle. It should also be noted that Fossil holo cards, excluding zapdos, don’t have 1999-2000 copywrite dates available. Every set after Fossil is unavailable without 1999-2000 or later copywrite.

2 Likes

Ah this all makes sense thanks. So 1999-2000 cards outside of the base aren’t special at all and simply reflect that year. The only difference being with the base set 1999-2000 cards is they were UK only (so I read).

Fossil 1999-2000 are harder to come by, only found in red logo fossil boosters, minus a few. other than fossil and base, you’re correct, nothing special.

2 Likes

You know what’s rare? 1999-23000 cards!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/263444797628-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

(All Dark Arbok have this error)

5 Likes