Discussion on the consistency of PSA grading

Maybe one day. Youtube is an unforgiving grind, I don’t know if I’m cut out for it.

7 Likes

mouth not wide enough

3 Likes

I dont think a psa 10 quality card in a psa 4 case and a psa 4 quality card in a psa 10 case is a win at all.

One is misgraded and is worth less than if it actually got a ten and the other is clearly a misgrade and not going to actually be worth a psa 10 since its clearly a mistake. Seems like just a huge headache for the submitter.

2 Likes

Seems like a win to me! Sell the PSA 4-quality card in the 10 case for nearly the same price as a normal 10. And crack out and resub the PSA 10-quality in the 4 case.

It seems like submitting to PSA is a game of “can I get the highest score” moreso than “what condition is my card actually in”.

1 Like

I guess its a win if you’re fine scamming someone lol

It wouldn’t be scamming, IMO, so long as you’re selling a legitimate card in a legitimate slab with clear photos/description. Awhile back, I sold a PSA 10 RS Aggron with a binder indent (disclosed and photographed in the listing) for much closer to PSA 10 price than PSA 6 price. Is that scamming?

6 Likes

I’ve noticed that some sellers don’t include pictures of the back side of PSA slabs. Especially those that are PSA 10. Frankly, even the front side pictures might not be taken at the right angles to show all of the significant imperfections.

Do you think the seller has the obligation to study the card and clearly show all signs of damage whenever they may suggest the card deserves a lower grade?

I can see arguments for and against this duty resting on the seller. The whole point of using the grading company was to get a trusted third party’s opinion on the grade.

If it a PSA X slab and it is advertised and sold as a PSA X slab, I guess some would say the seller did their duty. Some might say the buyer is honestly getting what they paid for, a PSA X card, and if they are unsatisfied then they should take it up with PSA, or they should have purchased a different copy of the card from a different seller with more detailed images of the card itself.

I don’t have a fully formed opinion on this myself.

2 Likes

Instead of selling it I’d submit it to PSA under their Grade Guarantee to get the current market value of the card in a PSA 10 personally. EZ

I would think that a clear front and back scan of the card would suffice. Any more than that such as pictures at different angles are not obligated. The seller has no obligation to show in detail all imperfections in my opinion for graded cards. The grading is there for a reason.

3 Likes

Sorry, maybe I should have explained myself better. I say it’s a win because the person can just regrade the 4 to get a better / perfect grade. He can also sell the mis-graded (PSA4 which got a PSA10) card at a higher premium than it would have sold for with its true grade.

I see this as a win. The ethics of that ofcourse is another debate. But I don’t consider the submitter at fault since it authenticated by PSA.

Cheers!

1 Like

IMO, it’s slightly unethical to sell an objectively misgraded card without (1) photos/scans that show the condition, or (2) a description that notes the misgrade.

That said, it’s certainly not scamming. At the end of the day, the buyer is getting exactly what they purchased – a PSA X.

So yeah, I think it’s definitely an ethical gray area. There are reasonable arguments for and against disclosure.

1 Like

The only thing that bothers me is when cards are clearly not 10s.

I don’t feel that way about any other grade, extreme examples not withstanding. But when I buy a 10 I expect nearly perfect eye appeal that should only falter under strict scrutiny. When I get a 10 and turn it over and immediately see whitening, what’s the point?

I have this problem with my Game Boy Meowths in particular. Every 10 I’ve ever seen has white corners or touch points on the borders that should be disqualifying it from a 10. I don’t know if there is some leniency they show this card sometimes due to its manufacturing quality or distribution method, but I don’t know why they bother failing so many stronger candidates down to 9 if they’re just going to let some visibly worse candidate get a 10 every once and a while.

Black Star promos are hard and weird to grade. Anyone who has tried has experienced that first hand. That, above all else, took the shine off the apple for me because you’ll send cards that look perfect in and get 9s and see other 10s for sale that compare unfavorably.

2 Likes

Noone could tell the psa 10 from the 2 psa 9s and psa 8 i listed on a thread because its all interchangeable.

1 Like

This is why I only care about 10s “looking perfect.”

I don’t care about any grades less than 10. I don’t need someone with a micrometer and a magnifying glass to tell me if a card is less-than-perfect. I can see that myself. But when I buy a 10, I want it to look perfect in the case. I don’t care if it literally is or not. But if I look at a PSA 10 card and see any damage with the naked eye at first glance, I just wonder what the point is. They have a grade for “less than perfect”, it’s called PSA 9.

1 Like

Psa 9s should be perfect but psa doesnt know the meaning of mint.

Even funnier is this…

Are you still trying to prove grading is subjective? We all know it, we all see it. A company made up their own grading scale and appointed them with their own terms instead of scouring the dictionary?! Absolutely crazy!

3 Likes

Its simply not very well thought out.

A 5 grade is “excellent” which looking at a 5, it will probably have tons of edge wear. A random person on the street wouldn’t think that is excellent.

1 Like