Different Perspective

As a collector who started buying in early 2018, I think I have a different perspective than most on here. From 2018 until now prices have steadily increased and my chase cards are taking longer to acquire even with more spending power and I’ve often needed to adjust/settle for say a PSA 8 instead of a 9/10. I am going to assume my chase cards (Gold Star PSA 8s) are only going to increase in price even if there is a retrace in the market because they haven’t gone up as much as the big jumping cards have. (could be wrong) not really a question here, just saying, damn I wish I was 5 years younger.

1 Like

I wish I’d started when you started. Many will wish they’d started when I started. We all wish we’d started when Gary and Scott started. I hear you about your chase cards, though. The advice to go after the biggest cards first if at all possible is advice I wish I’d taken earlier before this most recent spike. If other cards you have rise as fast or faster than the cards you are chasing, like gold stars, what a great opportunity to maximize your sell to purchase price ratio. With the relative scarcity of Pokémon cards compared to sports cards or other collectibles, I think you’ll thank yourself later with getting 8s now if that’s your current budget.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s a great way to see it. Luckily I did buy a bunch of wotc collections in 2018 too, and I’m not nearly as attracted to those as I am the gold stars. It’s like time is of the essence though and selling individually might mean I loose out on cards I can afford, but complete sets have been really doing well so a little yin/yang going on there

3 Likes

Swings and roundabouts.

There are several cards I bought in early 2018 for between $100 and $200 which have recently sold for between $20 and $50. Not everything is on the up. There will be a lot of things today which will look like complete steals a few years from now but there will also be things which will drop significantly. Don’t assume that if you were around a few years earlier you’d be in any way better off than you are today.

At the moment there is a lot of focus on early set cards, promos and non-TCG cards, but outside of those there hasn’t been too much of a change yet for the majority of cards.

Nobody knows what the future holds, Pokémon cards may be frequently selling for above $1m by 2030 but they may also be completely worthless. If you believe in the former: seize the day and go out and buy like there’s no tomorrow; if you believe in the latter; now is a fantastic time to sell up for record prices.

2 Likes

@mrtz, Questions (or statements/observations) like this need to be posted in the Giant Market Thread!

www.elitefourum.com/t/before-you-post-a-thread-in-price-and-market-discussion/29138/1

1 Like