Did any other Pokemon receive style updates during gen 9?

Topic title, did any other Pokemon receive style/color updates during gen 9? Ever since I realized Magnemite was updated, I’ve been wondering if any other Pokemon went through updates as well.

For context, pre gen 9 Magnemite (and Magneton) was depicted in two colors, a blue and a greyish green:

m

The mainline games used the green from gens 3 through 5, then used the blue starting in gen 6. Everything else (side games, merch) used either the green or the blue at their leisure. (We will ignore the anime, because it uses its own grey that is neither of the above). Side games tended to alternate between the blue and green, but merch used the green a lot more than the blue. Examples:

Fit/Sitting Cuties plush:

The old Magnemite prize lotto

However, it seems like during gen 9 TPC finally put their foot down and decided to standardize Magnemite to the blue. Several merch lines like the Sitting Cuties and the Pokedex charms were rerun with the blue instead of the green, and newer merch are also blue as well.

10 Likes

Gyarados used to have side tail fins and an extra top dorsal fin in it’s design before both were taken away. It’s also had it’s eyes change back and forth from Purple and Red. But nothing seems to have changed in Gen 9 specifically.

I think certain Pokemon just get style updates from time to time.

5 Likes

Dragonite has had a lot of changes in color, partly due to graphics limitations from the technology at the time. If you ignore the mustard body / purple wing Dragonite, the real question is: Which shade of orange is the correct Dragonite orange?

The styling of Dragonite’s antennae has also changed over time.

Gen 1

Gen 2

Gen 3

Gen 4

HGSS

Gen 5

Gen 6

ORAS

Gen 7

Gen 8 + Let’s Go Pikachu

Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl

Gen 9

1 Like

Not as standardized as the Magnemite example, but Charizard and Venusuar had fairly dramatic design changes to their in game models moving from generation 8 to 9.

IMG_2777IMG_2776

IMG_2774IMG_2775

I definitely prefer the gen 8 models for these two Pokémon.

I can’t look at the new Venusaur model’s mouth and not see this:

2 Likes

Poor Venusaur. :cry:

They both became more cartoony. Sad.

Dang, I thought the gen 9 models were almost universally considered upgrades, especially Charizard.

3 Likes

not exactly sprite related, but the shiny looks better with the newer models imo

The models themselves are barely changed outside from taking details that were shaded before and giving them geometry. Like Charizard’s eyebrows and Venusaur’s bumps/eyelids.

There’s more change in the UV mapping (texture/colours) but primarily the biggest change it seems is the lighting/rendering from a cartoony cel-shaded style to a more clay looking model. Kinda funny how big of a change that is.

I’m sure it’s difficult to recreate 3D models in newer generations and make it stand out. I remember Junichi Masuda said 2D sprites were better because the artist has more individual freedom. That’s why box art of newer gens look great but then the 3D models in-game look a bit “soulless”

1 Like

As much as I love Magnemite’s newfound shininess in g9, I do kinda prefer the cel shaded style from the earlier gens over g9’s lighting in general.

@Dyl I had a look and if I had to guess, I would say the newer gens of orange seems to be the correct one? Gen 5-6 seemed to have been another color updating point.

2 Likes