Declaring as a gift?

Hi, all :blush:

I recently sold some cards (not on ebay) to a buyer in Denmark. He paid via goods & services and I shipped through PayPal. The cards made it to Denmark customs, but the buyer is upset that I did not declare it as a gift and he has to pay fees.

He has absolutely refused to pay the fees and instead offered to ship the cards back to me so I can resend them with a gift declaration. I’ve shipped overseas plenty of times, but have never dealt with this issue.

Should I agree to his terms? And if I don’t, can he scam me out of my cards/money by filing a claim with PayPal? What are your guys’ experiences with marking purchases as gifts?

Declaring the package as a gift does not remove import fees. It only makes the threshold for the fees higher. So, if you shipped them items worth 30€ and declare it as a gift, they wouldn’t have to pay import fee, where otherwise they would have to, but if they bought stuff worth 70€+, they’d have to pay import fee regardless of if it is declared a gift or not. At least that’s my understanding of it.

5 Likes

Not a good idea.

Undervaluing a product is always a bad idea because if it gets lost, insurance doesn’t cover you.

If the customer doesn’t want to pay import fees, then that is their problem, not yours.

1 Like

Sounds like an unreasonable pest to be blunt. You didn’t do anything wrong, he just has a sense of entitlement.
If that was a deal breaker, he should have mentioned it before you shipped out to avoid this mess.
The tough part here is you don’t have the cards in your possession anymore.
Honestly, I’d try and amend the situation and have them returned so you can just get through it and send them back. It seems to be the path of least resistance and potential for losing cards. When you send them back as a gift just put the item description as “Pokemon Cards” and declare a very low value and everything should be fine. He should agree to pay shipping costs a second time since it was his fault for not making his terms clear the first time (assuming he didn’t.)
If you don’t mind me asking, what value range are these cards? If the value is substantial, it’s your call in assessing the risk associated with marking the value low. I’ve personally never had a package get lost (fingers crossed) but it can happen.
After printing a label and packaging an item I’ve had people request that I mark the value even lower than I already marked it even though it’s a gift because they say their country charges X and it’s too much. I wish I could just tell them, “too bad shit head. I don’t wanna wait fifteen days for a label refund and I’m already doing you a favor.”
Instead I just put on a smile, print a new label, repackage the item, and move on. Luckily I haven’t already shipped an item before they tell me.
Be polite, get through it.

4 Likes

Marking as gift doesn’t change the value of the package.

@sizzlinshibe

How much was the declared value? I think Denmark has similar customs charge limit as in other Nordic countries aka 22 euros inc. shipping.

Totally buyer’s responsibility to take care of fees in this scenario when cards have already reached customs, to me it sounds like you were doing business first time so marking full value as merchandise doesn’t surprise. I’d shut down the option where cards are returned to you and reshipped to buyer, total waste of time and money.

1 Like

@nauticads

Out of courtesy I had declared the value as 20 USD (the actual value was significantly more). He claims that customs is charging him 30 USD to receive the package.

Sounds like Buyer’s Remorse to me. There is absolutely no way the fees are 30$, when declared value is 20$.

1 Like

Right now I hope some Danish collector would jump in this discussion but can’t think of one at E4.

If I am not mistaken, any EU country can freely import from outside the EU up to 22 euro (excl. shipping and handling costs). So if you declared the package for 20 US$ it should not be hit by customs. He maybe has to pay fees over the shipping costs, and those are dependant on the country. I know Dutch customs negate fees if the custom fees are higher than the actual shipping fees.

Let him check at the tax bureau why he’s being hit for 30$ on a package declared 20$.

@genosha

The buyer is actually lurking on this thread and has explained to me that apparently Denmark’s fee system is pretty terrible. “Because for everything over 80dkk, you have to pay a 160dkk handling fee for the post office and 25% tax.”

So here’s what you do in the future, Buyer; tell the seller your situation ahead of time and agree on values with each other before the seller sends the package.

It may just be worth your(buyer) time to pay the fees and learn a lesson for the future so you don’t have to pay for shipping again and wait another several weeks.
:grin:

international.kk.dk/artikel/what-are-costs-importing-goods

No VAT on anything below 80 Krone
No custom fees for anything below 1150 Krone

So no custom fees, only VAT. And Denmark is killer with a 25% flat tax rate.

Well, sorry for the presumption. Seems like your customer is right?

lifeinaalborg.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/charges-on-packages-sent-to-denmark-from-outside-the-eu-beware/

Preposterous fees. Nonetheless, the Buyer should’ve informed you beforehand.

As I said; Denmark is very cruel on it’s taxes.
But, still if following your link a gift packages between two individuals should not involve money. So only thing the buyer is trying to ask the seller is assisting him in tax evasion by sending the package as a gift with no declared value.

Do not do it! This could go very badly in multiple ways. Never declare a package a gift to buyer.

1 Like

If the buyer didn’t inform you in advance and make arrangements then they lose. Simple. They would have to be a simpleton to think otherwise;)