Ebay user complaining that I didn't under declare their item

Sold a Fossil booster pack to someone in Denmark and they wrote a note to write its value as ‘$10 of pokemon cards.’ This is a form of mail fraud and not something I have/had any interest in doing so I declared its actual value.

Now once they received the package they are complaining that they have to pay customs duties/import taxes and that if they had known I never under declared it they never would have bought the pack. This I found somewhat funny since the item was an auction and they had 7 days to contact me about whether or not I commit mail fraud on shipments before they committed to buy it by bidding. If paying duties is such a deal breaker, either confirm with the seller before you commit to buy it whether or not they are willing to under declare the value drastically.

Anyways I just told them they can pay the duties or they can refuse the package and it’ll be sent back to me (I believe) and that I will just give them a refund once I see that it is being redelivered to me/is delivered back to me.

I don’t understand that whole idea of expecting a seller you don’t know to take the risk with under declaring shipments going through customs, like its such a risk for me for no payoff and only helps the buyer.

3 Likes

0/10 shitty seller wouldn’t even break the law for me

23 Likes

If they leave me negative feedback I think I’ll use this line when I contact ebay for it to be removed hahaha its great!

4 Likes

Don’t refund until it’s in your hands

6 Likes

Not that I’m suggesting this is the best choice but my understanding is you aren’t even required to refund if the buyer refuses the package. If they try to file an item not received claim and the tracking shows they rejected the package, ebay will side with the seller.

3 Likes

What if USPS tries to deliver a package but the buyer isn’t home and doesn’t go pick the package up from their post office?

I sold a card and USPS attempted a delivery on November 21.

Days pass and the buyer still didn’t pick it up. I sent them 2 eBay messages telling that there was a delivery attempt made and that the package can be picked up from their post office.

Never got a response. It’s now 4th of December. The package will be sent back to me on 21th of December.

If it’s sent back to me and buyer complains am I forced to refund? They didn’t refuse the package but also doesn’t seem to pick it up. It’s so weird :slightly_frowning_face: It’s possible they aren’t home or something but it’s been so many days already.

Gotta love having issues. This is second eBay issue I’m having right now. As soon as I sell something a little bit more valuable than usual I get problems with BOTH of the deals. I’m never ever doing this again. N e v e r

I had contacted ebay and they said they have my back if they attempt to file a return since they are trying to avoid import taxes/duties. I was not planning on issuing a refund until the package was back with me anyways, and they haven’t tried opening a case yet.

I dont really mind just giving a refund since its easy to re-sell a fossil booster pack and just allows me to block him and move on but I’ll see how things play out once I get it. The tracking hasn’t updated that he refused the package yet after 2 days, so I’m not too sure what hes doing lol.

Import charges aren’t fun but you done the right thing and are the one taking the risk if it goes missing. It’s not good if a $200 item goes missing and you only get $10 compensation

If your package goes lost, PayPal will refund the buyer and f**k you even if you declared the full value. If you ship to Europe, it’s better to declare 20 USD and make honest people save their money… 25% of import duties is a fraud.

1 Like

so when you insure the package based on the declared value (because it would be smart to have two different values) you have to eat the difference because your mate who bought the item (who is not your mate, they are a total stranger) That sounds fair…jeez

I had never insured a package. It’s like putting a label “steal me” on it.

1 Like

If you read the note before shipping and shipped it anyways you kinda knew there would be trouble. If this was me I would not ship at all and fight for the negative feedback to be removed

1 Like

If USPS tries to deliver the package and the buyer isn’t home that is considered a delivery attempt and you are off the hook no matter what happens after that. Unfortunately if the buyer refuses the seller does need to return the money whether the refused package actually does make it back to them or not.

1 Like

Thats besides the point and a seller shouldnt have to take a loss because you want to circumvent any system. You know its a thing but you dont want to abide. Not my problem!

1 Like

Oh my god will it be another messy refund situation for me then… :slightly_frowning_face: I’m not ready for that… If you have seen what I’ve been talking about on a different thread you know what I mean. Big rip…

I have told people (buying from outside of the US) point blank that I will not do illegal stuff before they purchased if such as request was made, regardless of the size of transaction. If they still purchased after that, there was no issue of misunderstanding / refunding etc.

Vikings being Vikings.

People just trying to save money by being dodgy…