Import charges

I don’t know if I can write this post,or if this is the right place to post …if it is not,I am sorry and i will delete it,no problem.

I was just curious to know how do you consider when someone ask you to mark the package as gift/low value thus avoiding import charges.
Is it rude or annoying? Illegal?

(For example in my case if I want to buy a card that costs $300,00 situated in USA I have to pay $75,00 more)

What do you think about it?

I have always had my cards delivered with lower declared values. Imagine paying import charges / VAT on 5 figure purchases :confused:
On a side note: many countries limit the value for as ‚gift‘ marked packages so there could still be charges.

IMO it is rude, annoying, and illegal when done/requested the wrong way. Done the “right” way (IMO of course, buyer sending paypal F&F) it is something I occasionally consider. I mean two wrongs (violating Paypal T.O.S. and tax laws) simultaneously cancel them both out… right?

But yeah even when done the right way it is inherently illegal. There is no way around that. The forum has rules against openly engaging in “unscrupulous behavior” but has never acted against discussion of tax evasion or theft of services through abuse of the F&F payment option so history tells us this post is fine to discuss.

Same as Scott, I never met any problems when my cards delivered with lower declared value.
To go further, I hate the ebay global shipping program that cause you to pay import fees each items you buy abroad.
As a French seller, it’s very easy for me to sell worlwide : 5$ for a tracked international mail, whatever the destination.
I wish it would be the same in USA or Canada…

I only buy from sellers with the GSP when it clearly states it includes the import charges. It’s not always like that. Last summer I bought two Reverse Legendary Collection cards, both via GSP. One was excluding the import charges; WHAM! 95€ for a reverse holo common thanks to the additional 35€ import charges.
To get it more clear: Yes; under-declaring is tax evasion, both for the seller as the receiving party. But, and this is where the discussion can be, how would buying an collectible e.g. Base Set Raichu at $30 in the USA harm my local economy? The import taxes are there so a company like e.g. Sony won’t lose out on sales in one region, because people import it from another. In the end a company like Sony or Nintendo won’t give a rats ass where they earn their money, but tax wise for some companies it’s better to have their sales done in Europe because (hooray for the Netherlands! Tax paradise for non-Dutchies!) companies are tax lower or not at all when they have office in Europe.

I never ask a seller on eBay to under-declare my package. And I always just smack on the full value of a package (except for Secret Santa) when I have to send something to the US/Canada/Australia.

1 Like

2 months ago I did end up paying import charges 1800€ (around 2000 us $) Yes I did know it can happen when I was buying, well I was expecting max 1500€ but EU have settle extra 10% fee for playing cards from US :slightly_frowning_face: as a collector I’m feeling bad, with that extra 2k I paid. I would buy more cards to my collection instead sinkin that hard earned money who knows where…And about declared values:here if custom wants to check your order, importer must provide receipt off payment, no matter what value is marked on packet. Ofc with declared value it can slipt trought…

Get an American middle man, and just fly across every 3 months to pick up your purchases :wink:

It is definitely illegal. By asking someone to mark down the value you are asking them to do something illegal.

A lot of people do it though, but that still doesn’t make it any less illegal :blush:

I personally never ask for any items to be marked down on the customs forms, but will gladly be a returning customer with sellers that do it out of their own accord.
At that point I’m not breaking any laws after all :blush:

5 Likes

I will nearly always ask that an item is marked down where I can. Cards are more scarce at good prices in Europe unfortunately.

1 Like

Unfortunately they really are:(

ITT: People admitting to committing fraud. :confounded:

This is why I asked if I could do this post😅as I said,if this is not allowed,please delete it:)

Anyway I just wanted to know what are your thoughts about this ,and it seems that in some way you all agree on the same point.

If the seller spontaneously do it,that’s fine,but better not to ask,in this way you are clean and not annoying.

Yeah when I go to a garage sale and buy a collection of cards I’m not going to go to the tax agency and pay them the appropriate sales tax. Likewise, I’m not going to pay taxes on some second hand goods when I buy them on the internet. I’ll do whatever it takes to avoid paying. And before anyone feels the need to get on a high horse, anytime you get an item that ‘slips through’ the customs office and you fail to report it, you are equally complicit with this tax evasion practice (might depend on the country).
Guaranteed anyone in the hobby who claims to never have avoided taxes is either @gottaketchumall or lying.

12 Likes

Lol. Really? The OP was a very direct question on legality. I offered a very direct answer. No horse involved just a transmission of facts through Q&A.

As @pichufan stated I and others literally admit to avoiding not only taxes, but thieiving services from Paypal (though on rare occasion) in this very thread so I don’t understand what you are saying? I think I’ve admitted to it multiple times on this board and I’ve alluded to my confusion that the board doesn’t give a crap about it when it clearly should violate the “unscrupulous behavior” rule. It seems that only applies to things like pack weighing and custom cards though, which is fine I just think not consistent and being picky-choosy. It’s something I’ve admitted to doing more than most other members, but I openly mention that I don’t feel good about it while others rejoice and relish in doing it.

Being in the US there is also a box on my state taxes to list any items purchased for personal use online whereby I did not pay sales tax (so 99% of them). I don’t care to track that so I don’t report it but I would be all for automated systems for collecting it where due. It happens already on any company with a physical presence in my state e.g. Amazon, Wal-mart, best buy, target and the like and eBay is even rolling it out for many states. I hope NY comes soon.

Actually that’s a good point.

1 Like

Two caveats.

First, if you expect me to mark down value to save you on fees, but refuse to send F/F to save me on fees, you’re a hypocrite.

Second, you know damn well I can’t claim insurance more than the declared worth. So if something goes wrong, and you expect me to come up with the difference in loss, you’re a scumbag.

12 Likes

My comment about the high horse was directed at anyone who would criticize me for avoiding taxes and not directed to you at all. The shot at you in the end was meant as a light-hearted jab since I know you are very straight-laced when it comes to sales taxes, F&F payments, etc. Please don’t take it personally

1 Like

I always cover fees and currency conversion paying f and f. I also take the risk if it gets lost. I nearly had to pay the price of this when my last card took 4 weeks to reach me. I thought it was lost for sure. In short I agree with you, if i strike a deal with you for 250$, you will get 250$ even if I have to pay 270. However I would rather take that risk especially on higher ticket items (for me) than fork out customs. Recently ive been particular in being patient and buying european goods though.

@gottaketchumall, PFM was just teasing.

As for violating “unscrupulous rules”, that pertains to discernible issues in the hobby. We are a pokemon forum, not the IRS. If you want to start paying for the time I would have to waste to needlessly monitor fruitless comments, feel free to fund that. Until then we are already doing more than any other site.

3 Likes

1 Like