Customs form for sending to PSA from UK

I have a question for those who submits cards to PSA from the UK or just anyone who can clarify on this.

I recently got my PSA membership (Yay!) and submitted my first 15 cards off. At the post office, i was handed a customs form to fill out even when i said my collectibles are just getting graded by a service in the States, the kind lady told me it was all procedure. I was cool with it and put down the value of my collectibles as $1000.

My question is, would PSA get handed an import charge of some kind as the value exceeds $1000 and slows down the grading process due to customs or is this how its suppose to be done? What if i had submitted $5k worth? Should i be worried about my package being opened for inspection when it is at customs?

Sorry for the questions, just paranoid as this is my first time submitting myself and being a noob. Thanks! :blush:

USA does not have import taxes or duties for import of trading cards (I think collectibles in general).
The customs form (commercial or pro-forma invoice) is always necessary, no matter why you ship something. Customs can open the package to inspect. They do not open all packages but some of course. The declared value does not affect the turn around time at PSA as there is no import taxes anyways. However, check with your postal service as the normal post usually has a limit amount to how much they are liable for lost or damaged packages. So if their maximum liability is £500, it’s no use to put a higher declared value.

If you want the postal service to be liable for the full declared value you’d have to send it with a courier (UPS, Fedex, DHL etc).

THANKS @pokeg!!! Slowly and surely i’ll understand how this all works!

1 Like

In addition to your question. He lives in England then he is obligated to pay custom fees. Is he going to pay custom fees when the PSA card returns from USA to UK?

I believe i shouldn’t be paying fees on the values of the card, but rather on the grading fees.

Border control can absolutely charge you customs fees on return. Do not bank on only paying for the grading fees. It happens sometimes but not all the time.

you only pay custom fees on the declared value of the package. PSA always takes the grading fees as the total declared value, hence you won’t be charged a lot if anything at all. Otherwise PSA could stop their service, kmagine paying VAT and custom fees on a card that you submitted with a value of several thousands… nobody would grade with PSA anymore.