Cross Graded Base Set 1st Ed Charizard (6 to 8.5)

I cross graded a Base Set 1st Ed Charizard PSA to BGS and while I was hoping for at least 1.5 grade higher, to my surprise I got 2.5 higher.

Thanks to smpratte’s video here I figured out the grading nuances between PSA and Beckett that convinced me this would work.

Anyone have any success doing this consistently?

9 Likes

BGS is much much less harsh on things like dents. I have also been able to take a few psa 6s to bgs 8s over the years but I wouldn’t say that I’ve done it a million times or that it can be replicated consistently

Yeah this was my first time doing it. Was thinking I’ll try it again but think I got pretty lucky on this one and probably only worth it on high dollar cards.

Last year, I crossed a PSA 8 to BGS 7 (9 centering, 9.5 corners, 9 edges, 6 surface). There was indeed a very small & faint dent, like from a fingernail maybe.

IMO PSA is the most consistent with dents (PSA 5-6) but don’t be surprised if BGS hits you with a 6 surface. At the end of the day it’s the grader and not the company.

2 Likes

That’s wild. Congrats on the upgrade

2 Likes

I think from what I’ve seen and I could be completely wrong. For 1 - 9 PSA is much more strict than other companies. For 9.5 - 10, BGS is the tougher grade to get.

1 Like

Yup that’s how I understand it too. Best way to get upgraded is a well centered PSA 5-7 with limited surface damage. Back edge/corner whitening doesn’t matter as much for BGS.

1 Like

We only think this because everyone’s scales are different lol Like, who decided that a pristine black label card becomes an automatic psa 6 because it has a dent/crease that you need a 10x magnifier to find?