CP6 vs evolutions

Why does it seem like cp6 20th anniversary is much more superior than it’s English counterpart? And will it continue? I’m not familiar with modern at all. Just had to pick up a zard from one of the two for my collection and chose cp6 because it was 100% more appealing.

2 Likes

CP6=Limited Release
Evolutions= Printed to oblivion

5 Likes

+1

Cp6 doesn’t have reverse holos = laaaaaammee

English all the way!

1 Like

CP6 wasnt overprinted like Evolutions. If you check, even today after years, every single Pokemon Bundle includes some Evolutions packs inside… Terrible :sob:

1 Like

CP6 was actually limited to some extent. CP6 also has much better box art. A great example of a healthy balanced print run vs and unbalanced print run.

6 Likes

It’s also the last set to have a 1st edition run.

I love the perfectly replicated old school holofoil on CP6. The evolutions holofoil doesn’t do the original justice and doesn’t ignite my nostalgia quite as much as I’d like.

3 Likes

You partially answered your own question :wink:

1 Like

I did didn’t I. I will say I was not aware of what kind of print run cp6 had or that it was limited.

1 Like

That’s another question I had. Was all of cp6 1st edition?

Yup

CP6 cards also look so much better than Evolutions cards. CP6 cards look more like the original Japanese cards, meanwhile Evolutions cards look a bit funky in my opinion and completely different than any other set. They tried to make it closer to the old WOTC style but they didn’t end up looking that good imo. Weird fonts and card layout, etc.

4 Likes

Yea they look like cheap counterfeits. Generic. The Holo patterns even look like sticker patterns.

2 Likes

I appreciate both CP6 & Evolutions. The atmosphere both sets created was reminiscent of the 90s. Similar to Pokemon Go.

I agree Cp6 is a notch above, but at least English put in some effort with the hp design and holo pattern. Japan has more freedom as well, which is why they knocked it out of the park.

If English had a better balance on the print it would have sustained. I’ll always have nostalgia for both sets, but there is little to no challenge with Evolutions. At least it served a purpose and got people excited and back in the hobby!

Yea I think the simplicity of wotc in comparison to now adds to it’s nostalgia. That’s why I’ve drowned out modern. I could appreciate that too though.