Couple of PSA Questions

Hi guys I have a few PSA questions that came to me and wanted to get your thoughts as I am unsure, only recently started adding PSA’s was more of a binder/folder guy before that.

Are the price guides on the PSA website a good indication of how much a card is worth? (I was using the recent sold ebay listings)

What is regarded as high pop for the PSA 9 and 10s for WOTC stuff? Obviously there are a bunch of sets here so if you can just give an example of how you would figure that out for 1 specific set (or whatever way is easiest), that would be great.

I searched for these questions before posting but couldnt find anything, if they have been answered already please can you point me in the right direction, cheers.

Use Pokemonprice.com for all your pricing needs as it pulls a longer history than eBay retains. PSA’s website is not updated frequently. It even has a tab at the top of the forum as it was made by our own @pierce and endorsed by the forum owner @smpratte for the value it brings to our community.

“High pop” is extremely situational and highly depends on the demand and the total cards graded. Having “only” ~110 base 1st charizards is clearly not a high pop considering they are infrequently seen on the open market whereas other sets or other species of Pokemon that may be a high pop because there just isn’t enough demand out there to soak up the supply. Also note that the pop of a PSA 10 card is the only true pop number in the report. Many time’s PSA 8 and PSA 9 pops will be inflated due to people cracking out those cards and resubmitting in an attempt at higher grades.

6 Likes

Here is a pretty good resource to start with: pokemonprice.com by our very own @pierce . It’s a collection of all Pokémon PSA-graded sales, including lots of awesome graphs. But perhaps @pierce could tell you in more details.

PS: The Pokémon Price is also a button in the menu at the top. :blush:

EDIT: I see @gottaketchumall beat me to it. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

I would double down on the description “high pop” being contextual, but add that most people are using that term in the context of the set. For example: PSA 10 1st Edition Neo Revelation Ampharos Holo is POP6. This is low pop in general, but it is referred to as low pop as a quick way of describing the relative scarcity of 10s versus other PSA 10 1st Edition Neo Revelation holos. Crobat, sitting at 45, might be called “high POP” with the same logic. However, an unlimited Jungle rare with a POP of 6 would be considered high, due to the low number graded and lack of demand for the set in general and the lack of graded examples throughout the set.

Ah I’m an idiot I went on pokemonprice the other day for a quick look and just looked at the analytics section and didnt see the sets section, thats perfect. Thanks for explaining about high pop aswell much appreciated, cheers guys.

2 Likes