Color variants vs sun bleaching of vintage cards

Hi!

I understand that there are color variants of old vintage cards resulting from different print runs. But there is also the possibility of sun damage. So is there a way to figure out whether the color has faded or whether saturation differences are due to different print runs?

Are there any colors that are affected by sunlight first compared to other colors?

I would be grateful for any advice. Example pictures would definitely help! Cheers!

1 Like

With magnification you can tell by the print dots if it’s sunfaded or a complete ink layer is missing. The first color to fade is Magenta followed by Yellow and Cyan tends to stay there for a long time before fading completely. So most albino sun bleached cards only have Cyan and Black that’s an easy way to tell them apart.

Edit: Also most of those pink or albino borders wotc cards are just sunfaded.

5 Likes

Beginners Guide to Misprints — MISPRINTEDMTG.COM Has a great section explaining albino/sunfade.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the replies.

Using a magnifier/loupe is a brilliant idea. I also read the MTC guide about color variants, ink errors and sun fading.

From my understanding, all these approaches will be easy to use if you have a strong error/ sun damage.

But i guess it would be not be easy to apply these methods to identify the reason of relatively subtle saturation differences in examples as posted below?!?

RDT_20230224_1510485039390705018850951