Color Differences - Shadowless Pikachu

Hi Everyone,

Hope you’re all having a great Sunday! Yesterday the Shadowless Yellow Cheeks Pikachu I purchased arrived, which I bought to go with the Red Cheeks one I already owned. Upon displaying them side-by-side today, I noticed that the cards have quite a difference in colorization, and the new one I purchased is a lot lighter. I wanted to reach out to the experts here to find out a little bit more about it! I have them side by side here:

My two Shadowless Pikas:

I read about color differences before, depending on printer ink, which exact print run, etc. etc. I am mainly wondering if both cards are “normal” variations, or if somehow something went wrong. For example, it crossed my mind that the new Pikachu I received might have been out in the sun for a bit too long, but maybe wasn’t graded down for it?

One of the holo’s I own from Expedition has lighter yellow borders, which I do believe to be the result of UV-exposure. It’s maybe a bit hard to tell, but I put it next to another card:

Two expedition holos

For the Feraligatr, you can tell the yellow borders are lighter (which I also believe to be one of the reasons this card is marked down to an 8). But since the Pikachu reached a 10, it makes me wonder if it is simpy a “normal” variation.

Any input is hugely appreciated!

you might have a japanese cd promo pikachu. theyre lighter in colour than standard yellow cheek shadowless pikas, but the black text is usually bolder, which yours isn’t. regardless there are colour differences between red and yellow cheek pikas

1 Like

Hmm this did absolutely not cross my mind, nor did I know the existence of that card!

Would that card have an English back as well?

yes, but printed on JP card stock

Cool, thanks for educating me! Upon researching this a bit more, I found a thread on here talking about all the Base Pikachu variations, that’s really interesting.

I’ll inspect it under some brighter lights when I get the chance, to really compare the surfaces too. But I think it’s all good then, looks like I didn’t purchase an overgraded sun-bleached card :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes