Advice on E3 Pikachu Red Cheeks stamp differences

I am currently after E3 Pikachu Red Cheeks, the last missing English WotC promo for my collection. I have noticed that the position and, to some extent, even the font of the E3 stamp varies from card to card.

I have been looking for some relevant information but have not been very successful. So I decided to create a new topic and ask for some help to make sure I increase the chances of buying a genuine E3 stamp.

For example, those are currently on eBay or have been sold recently:

The same picture with added horizontal guides:

The difference in alignment seems to be visible here in particular:

e3-3

Does anyone know what to look out for? Or maybe they are all real and just simply misaligned during printing?

Any info would be much appreciated. Also, a topic about Pikachu could not be complete without tagging @quuador for his expertise :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty concerning.

My recommendation is finding old cert examples and comparing the alignment

5 Likes

Most stressful thread of the year so far.

11 Likes

The alignment may have some variability. A good example would be the left-shifted, right-shifted, or completely misaligned Prerelease Clefable stamps. However, the stamp thickness and general look of it shouldnā€™t be so variable.

4 Likes

@quuador have you seen variations like this before?

1 Like

I have several copies of this card from a verified source. The alignment does appear to vary to a degree that is not insignificant.

Align

They do, however, all appear to have the same font.

RCEX6
RCEX5
RCEX4
RCEX3
RCEX2
RCEX1

12 Likes

Is it possible for you to take a scan of them?

1 Like

I have seen some very small differences in alignment, but nothing this big. :astonished: Not sure what to think of this tbhā€¦ The stamps themselves look legit in your first picture, except maybe the sixth on in the first picture. The middle part of the ā€œ3ā€ looks a bit too thin/pointy compared to the others. :thinking:

Unfortunately, the E3 is small enough to not be too difficult to fake I would imagine. Especially in this modern time. Iā€™ve seen a Shadowless yellow cheeks Pikachu with E3 stamp before I had to look very closely at to ā€˜thinkā€™ it wasnā€™t legit (and Iā€™m still not 100% sure), and the ā€œEā€ of the custom E4 stamped cards arenā€™t too different from the ā€œEā€ of official E3 stamps either (Iykyk)ā€¦

Seeing huge differences like this does make you wonder how many E3 stamped cards are actually legit. Then again, it also wouldnā€™t surprise me if all of them are legit, and alignment differences like this are normal. Theyā€™re stamped after the cards are printed after all, so some minor differences would be normal. :thinking:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Sounds like we should review sealed copies for these same differences.

4 Likes

What also makes it alarming to me is that the stamps I showcased only represent what is currently available or was recently sold on eBay without cherry picking contrasting examples from Google, past listings or other sites. Basically this cardā€™s current supply. Itā€™s very surprising to find such a variability in alignment and thickness of these stamps in such a small sample set.

I would also imagine, @quuador, that these are not too challenging to counterfeit. If I had to guess, the chances of fake E3 stamps slipping through grading also seem to be fairly high. One successful attempt and a $50 card just turned into $800. Or they are all very much legit which would not surprise me either given what we know about quality control of WotC during PokƩmon TCG early stages.

I also agree with what @pfm said, the focus on the older cert number would likely be the best bet of making sure the stamp is rather legit. Another layer of added protection might be aiming for a graded original cello pack. Seems like the combination of a 2xx cert and a graded cello pack would be the way to go.

And thanks to @rarecards for adding your pictures! I can see there is a nice mix of graded cards, raw and the last one probably in the original packaging? Really interesting to see the differences across all of these. The scans would help indeed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Isnā€™t there some decent variation is some prerelease clefable stamps? Either way going old cert might be for the best I suppose. I was considering cracking mine for a cross grade tooā€¦ now I donā€™t know.

1 Like

I have three sealed copies and one PSA 10 in my collection that I acquired around 2013 (not sure when exactly). Iā€™ll post some pictures later tonight.

12 Likes

Photos of my sealed copy for reference

IMG_5070-1 copy

9 Likes

please post pictures. :wink:

Well THIS thread has stressed me out a little. But there are a LOT of unknowns at this momentā€¦
Iā€™m also more curious now about what is known of the manufacturing process for this print, as we know there are some variances in prints (ie, werenā€™t cards from multiple runs used to make this promo run?)

2 Likes

Wotc and quality control never met! Luckily there is a way to tell an E3 pika regardless of the stamp alignment. Red cheek E3 borders have a more muted honey mustard yellow color compared to a standard shadowless card. Itā€™s something Iā€™ve always associated with red cheek E3 pikachus, as all of mine have this coloration. You can see the difference in the photo below.

21 Likes

Scottā€™s right . . . itā€™s a subtle difference, but the yellow is more subdued on the E3 Pikachu than regular shadowless cards. Hereā€™s some additional photos:

7 Likes

There was also a ā€œhoney mustardā€ border Machamp. Any chance thereā€™s a connection b/t these two?

I feel like the coloring is a double edge sword and does not really work with the digital listings, since every screen shows an identical color differently.

For collectors sourcing cards online, the colors might not be that useful for verifying the genuity of a card. I mean, if I have a look at the picture in the first post, the colors are all over the place due to different cameras, screens and other digital devices used for processing the colors.

But comparing the border relative to the rest of one single card might help indeed!

1 Like

Honestly you are worrying way too much. E3 red cheek pika isnā€™t a stonk card that has a high potential of being faked. In fact no one has actually provided a single example of a forgery.

I just did a quick eBay search and there are plenty of listings that show the color difference. Also you can just buy from someone here in e4. All the cards shared in this thread have been authentic! Just saying all this to ease your worry!

6 Likes