Pikachu red cheeks E3

What makes this card so valuable?

The E3 Pikachu cards were given away at the E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) events in Los Angeles in May 1999. This card is considered to be the first American promo card. There is the rare Red Cheeks variant, of which the productions were quickly stopped to replace it with the Yellow Cheeks variant. - @quuador,

I think they were also in a nintendo power magazine at some point.

5 Likes

The card was only distributed for 3 days, has a gold stamp to set it apart from other promos other than the WB stamps, features one of the most popular pokemon with it’s most iconic artwork from the most iconic set in the hobby and is over 20 years old at this point being distributed in 1999. It’s essentially a very limited card card with iconic features which add up to it being pricey.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind responses. I have a red cheeks E3 Pikachu graded PSA 10. Will be holding onto it now

2 Likes

You bought a $600+ card without knowing what made it rare? Or did you grade it yourself?

Lol. Was gifted to my son who is 5. New to collecting, but trying to learn and really enjoying it. My son and I are started the collection together. Sounds like we have an awesome card

4 Likes

Knowing this makes it even more valuable in my eyes. The fact that you’re sharing a collection with your son is awesome. I hope you both grow up loving Pokemon for a very long time. What’s his favorite?

3 Likes

“Please be Gyarados. Please be Gyarados.”

5 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate that. He is obsessed with Pikachu and we are both loving learning about and collecting the cards. We also play all of the video games. Amazing history and story behind every card, set and character.

2 Likes

The red cheeks version is far rarer than the yellow. One of my favorite cards being the original base set artwork.

1 Like