Base Set Pikachu Variants

I was checking the Pop report for Base Set Pikachus :blush: and wasn’t sure what card was being represented by each description.

www.psacard.com/pop/tcg-cards/1999/pokemon-game/57801

Here are the cards that I am familiar with
+1st edition Yellow Cheeks
+1st edition Red Cheeks
+Shadowless Yellow Cheeks
+Shadowless Red Cheeks
+E3 Yellow Cheeks
+E3 Red Cheeks

The cards that seem ambiguous in the pop report are:
58 - Pikachu - 24 Total
58 - Pikachu - Red Cheeks - 20 Total
58 - Pikachu - Yellow Cheeks - 596 Total (Would I be right to assume that this card is just the unlimited version?)

So my questions are: What are the two Pikachus with the 24 and 20 pop report? Is the Pikachu with the 595 pop report just the unlimited version? Did the unlimited base Pikachu have a very scarcely printed red cheek variant? Lastly, Is one of the unknown Pikachu cards from the 1999 Australian PokeTour? Or is that found somewhere else in the pop report?

PSA sometimes changes a label or adds new variants over time.
Pikachu - Yellow Cheeks is indeed the unlimited version. There is no red cheeks unlimited version. The Pikachu - Red Cheeks with pop 20 is almost certainly the shadowless red cheek variant before they recognized shadowless cards (there are a lot of shadowless cards that were graded as unlimited before PSA recognized the variant).
The pop 24 Pikachu is probably before they recognized the red/yellow cheek variant OR was just the “regular” yellow cheek (unlimited) version in contrast to the red cheek version.
Basically, all three are the unlimited/shadowless versions before they added the more appropriate variants

1 Like

Don’t forget:

Low Fat
No Fat
Full Cream
High Calcium
High Protein
Light
Soy
Skim
Omega 3
High Calcium with Fol-ate
Extra Dollop

And the Australian Poketour is under 1999 promos.

1 Like

When I read the title I already had my Pikachu Base Set Variations article ready to link, but then I saw it’s about PSA labels instead. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador