Collecting Japanese over English cards. Thoughts?

I was wondering what you guys thought about this. As someone who is mainly interested in the artwork, I’ve been looking at Japanese versions of rare cards as alternatives to the English. In some ways they have more allure or even feel more legit, much in the same way that some people will only watch anime in the original Japanese (not myself, I watch both). They seem to have a lower rarity/value compared to English counterparts because the early cards had no 1st ed/shadowless if I read correctly, however this also means that you can acquire a high quality psa 10 for a lot less if you aren’t fussed about the text being in English. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

The question here is whether you are concerned with value. If you want to see the cards increase or keep their value, English is the best bet. It’s not guaranteed, but it’s a better bet than Japanese. If you’re not really concerned with that, Japanese is the way to go. They look way more sleek and can be a fraction of the price.

1 Like

If you’re a stickler for condition but also don’t want to spend a fortune, then collecting japanese is the way to go. I am on the verge of completing a base through neo binder set (holos only) in Mint/Near mint condition, and it has cost me a fraction of the price of its WOTC equivalent. I am super happy with the collection. The way I see it, artwork wise, they are the exact same cards (only slicker) in superb condition and bought at an affordable price. Not to mention they have an added pedigree of being the first.

That said, I highly doubt they’ll ever be as valuable as their English counterparts. But, consider that when investing in japanese, you’re spending considerably less, so the risk is substantially lower. Hey, the way I figure it, at a few bucks a card, you’ve got nowhere to go but up haha.

1 Like

If artwork is your only concern then the Japanese versions are fine.

3 Likes

Japanese cards cost less and have a way better printing quality (also some english artwork are cropped/resized/deformed because of the different layout). If you’re not into playing the TCG you should go japanese imo

2 Likes

English, Japanese, it’s all preference. Since I can’t read Japanese it’s always nice to read the card in English. Personal opinion, if it has an American release i stick with it. If it was Japan exclusive, that’s the exception for me to go with Japanese cards. As you said the art is what I think most people admire first.

Why not collect both? That is what I do for the original era. Some of the greatest artwork from back then were also only released in Japanese (e.g. vending series, VS and various promos). VS is probably my favorite set. I also really like the aesthetic and quality of Japanese cards. They simply just look better in my opinion. And as said above, the Japanese versions are the original ones.

For modern stuff I mainly collect Japanese cards since I no longer play the TCG. Recently I have completed binder collections of some of the SM sets, and here it seemed to me that many of the full art/hyper rare cards generally were substantially more expensive in Japanese compared to English. Perhaps this is due to less competition on Ebay?

2 Likes

I prefer Japanese personally purely because i think the cards look better without that ugly af yellow border. The only exceptions im making collection wise are some of the WOTC sets but that is more a nostalgia thing than anything else.

3 Likes

On that topic, does anyone happen to know what the reasoning was for the yellow in English sets? Did they just want a color visually contrasting so it’s easier to distinguish the two or was there more to it? Did WOTC have a say/influence?

I’ve collected Japanese and have tons of them, but my heart is in the English WOTC era cards. I just can’t get over not being able to read them. The Japanese cards are beautiful though, no doubt, and higher quality than english. Grand Party and Giovanni’s Persian from the gym set are my favorites. If I had to start collecting newer product today I think I would start with Japanese.

1 Like

I’d say go Japanese if you mainly care about artwork. The cards are almost always in better condition because they’re made better and as a bonus they’re WAY cheaper. The people who buy English usually do so with the added security of knowing that they can liquidate quickly if needed, and the cards will not only retain but likely increase in value down the road.

1 Like

Japanese cards are more aesthetically pleasing, more affordable, have a richer history behind them and have a much more diverse selection other than just sets.

2 Likes

If you want to collect them only for the artwork and don’t mind the language/low resell value, japanese cards are probably a good fit for you. Japanese cards had better print quality than english ones and it was very easy to get a PSA10 with japanese cards. Also afaik the holo rates of the earlier sets was also better on the japanese sets. Keep in mind that all these factors make japanese cards very cheap, so don’t get scammed and pay premium prices for them.

I agree with said statement. Japanese cards just look way better but when it comes to nostalgia, it just does not have the same effect.

1 Like

Exactly… even at fraction of the price but they also look better. They also tend to be in better condition as mentioned. If you can’t read Japanese like me, theirs an App for that, naw im just kidding haha maybe?? lol

2 Likes

Yes, I would like this answer too.

I’ve seen so many people struggle with this issue, in general English language cards are more valuable and for so many a culture has formed around that factor, lending some form of reverence to them, which is a shame because the chase for profit can totally undermine the inherent value and joy of collecting; leading to burnout for so many, especially if you put too much of a financial burden on yourself.

If you’re in it for the art and enjoy the notion of legitimacy of it being in its native language then go for it and collect Japanese, I personally think a lot of the Japanese cards look much cleaner and of a higher quality also but that’s my opinion.

Japanese cards also have a plethora of exclusives, but ideally you should just pick up whatever you find most appealing, that’s what really matters in the end!

Just collect what makes you happy and brings you Joy. Don’t get fixated over value.

3 Likes

I’ve been buying Japanese cards and boxes which have no English version.

I.e. Pikachu Ponchos, Mario, Poke Centre Openings and Mew Coro Coro

I’ve recently bought Rayquaza Gold Star PSA 10 in Japanese because it’s alot cheaper than the English version and I love the artwork.

2 Likes

That’s the idea:)