The value of Japanese cards

Hi all!

I just wanted to know what’s your opinion and belief on why English version Pokémon cards are worth alot more than Japanese version Pokemon cards?

I feel personally Japanese cards are quite under valued and should be closer in value to their English counterparts in the current market. Do you see them becoming closer in value in the future?

For example a PSA 9 graded Unlimited Base Set Charizard in English (1999) is worth more than double when compared to a PSA 9 graded Basic Charizard in Japanese (1996). Of course language has an effect but surely that is countered out by the age of the card bring 3 years older?

Anyway let’s hear your views, do you even collect Japanese PSA graded cards?

Japanese cards are alot easier to grade and have a much smaller demand. Also there is no such thing as under valued, the free market determinates the price :blush:

Personally, I have no interest in japanese cards, I just dont feel attached to them.

3 Likes

Aloha! Not to sound rude but their has been multiple discussions on this topic.
A few listed from some other discussion’s was the fact that English cards have the nostalgia factor and most people can read them. Those were the main things that popped out of my head but I am sure more will be added.

www.elitefourum.com/t/japanese-value-discussion/17885/1
I do collect Japanese cards but all the exclusive promos. They love Pikachu in which I love and are only exclusive in Japanese. They also do look better (especially the borders) and are easier to grade (mainly the new back Japanese cards). I will upload a few soon.

1 Like

In terms of Japanese cards, the value lies at their Exclusives Promos with artwork never seen in English print. English dominates set cards whereas Japanese dominates exclusive promos.

7 Likes

Below is an example why some people may choose Japanese over English, the GS Charizard has a silver border vice the gold/yellowish border on its English counter part (or somewhere in between). Some of the art is amazing and as other’s will state, exclusively Japanese. Regardless of their value and whether it rises or not, I do not care cuz I just love the artwork.

Not sure why it let me rotate but when I uploaded them they did not…

If we are talking about base set or standard sets then what you say is true, but don’t forget there is a TON of unnumbered promotional cards in japanses and many of them are worth quite a pretty penny! The masaki, grand party and natta wake cards to name a few and some coro coro cards are increasing in value too!

1 Like

A topic that has been debated before over and over.
I wouldn’t say Japanese cards are undervalued. There IS a demand for Japanese cards, but as most will say: “it depends on the persons who are interested in which language or cards”. The Japanese Pokemon company does a EXTREMELY good job in doing language exclusive cards compared to the English release. Examples include Pokemon Center exclusive Pikachu cards, Royal Mask Full Art, etc… There is a demand for cards like those.
As many will agree, Japanese cards are far easier to get a better grade than english cards, most likely because of the level quality control in Japan.

On a personal note, I love to collect Japanese cards because they hold a special place in my heart when it comes to collecting Pokemon. I pay good money when it comes to Japanese exclusive PSA cards, ie: Flying Pikachu from ANA, Surfing Pikachu from JR rally, etc.

1 Like

This. I wouldn’t call Japanese cards niche like other languages, but it’s safe to say English probably dominates over 3/4 of the market. Demand is a huge factor here.

I was shocked when I opened a CD promo set several months ago and literally every card looked Pristine.

If you compare to WOTC sets where 70-80% holos will score 9 or less. With Japanese cards it’s the other way around. That’s why even Base Charizard is going so low in PSA 10.

The value is there, it’s just that most cards don’t earn a big premium for high grades. The distribution is also different. Some sets will have a holo in each pack or the pull rate for secret rares is higher, etc…

Japanese cards are still worth quite a lot however English cards is just were most grew up with. Also the old English cards may be a bit more unique with the star pattern in the holo. BUT, we should not forget that Pokémon is in fact Japanese! And will be respected. It’s almost 25 years ago that it started with the Japanese cards, a quarter century already!

1 Like

Japanese cards do have some value to them, if its an exclusive artwork to the japanese release otherwise the english counterpart blows it out of the water 99% of the time.

The VS set(Karen’s Umbreon says hello) and the Mcdonalds e-series promos and some exclusive Play-promo artwork cards have some value to em.

BUT, we should not forget that Pokémon is in fact Japanese! And will be respected. People often forget this, or at least I feel like it, thank you for acknowledging this.

News to me, is this for real?

English is for set cards and WOTC and Gold stars. Japanese is for the unique promos, releases and artwork of which we do not get in English.

Nostalgia, collectability and aesthetically pleasing wise, in my opinion.

I personally dont collect Japanese sets (cp6 and some sub sets are an exception), I love the specific releases, artwork and the fact the Japanese Pokemon market caters to collectors. English card wise, I do collect set cards, due to the lack of unique and collector released cards. Plus I grew up with WOTC :blush:

www.pokemon.co.jp/corporate/en/history/

Sorry, I was just being a sarcastic punk.

2 Likes