Closed Thread.

probably more appropriate here lol

I like charizard, I buy charizard, charizard sits here no matter if it’s a $1 or $1,000 card. Really not the difficult

1 Like

What I like most about this market, is that the flippers have gotten largely priced out of the market. The people that are paying these crazy prices I presume are real collectors that intend to hold the cards they are buying for a long time.

The more cards people hold, the thinner the inventory, and the more value each card has. Positive feedback loop.

1 Like

My personal strategy has always been to take a balanced approach that adapts to both extremes of the market. Like everyone here, I have my personal collection and my “extras” which I strategically sell to help fund my personal collection. Usually, when prices experience rapid growth, I sell my extras more readily. I know for a fact that I could have made more money if I had held some of these cards longer; for example, I sold a 1st Edition PSA9 Charizard for $750 in my early eBay days (years ago). Obviously, it is worth about 10X that amount now, but it was a 350% profit for me at the time and the liquidity from that sale allowed me to buy several complete WOTC sets, which have appreciated even more than the Charizard and filled some existing holes in my personal collection. I don’t look back on that transaction with regret, since it provided me the money I needed to buy something else I wanted.

In short, I’m ok with selling early and seeing prices go up because that means my personal collection is able to grow (as I purchase new items) and appreciating (as my old items increase in value). And if prices go down, that’s ok too, because I’ve made enough off my sales to swoop up the items I still need for my personal collection at reduced rates. It’s really a combination of timing, patience, and engagement. I know Scott generally suggests a similar approach to his viewers/patrons. It’s definitely not a get-rich quick scheme, but with time and experience, anyone can grow their collection, which is really why we collect.

Admittedly, there are some cards that have priced themselves out of my accessibility, but that’s ok too. I don’t feel entitled to any card. Right now my 1st Edition Neo Genesis PSA10 holo set is missing Typhlosion 17 and Slowking. Maybe one day I will acquire them . . . maybe not. Until then, I can appreciate PSA9 copies.

3 Likes

Closed thread. Just wanted to promote some positivity which I think I somewhat did. Before I made this thread I seen abunch of posts all only talking about the money part of the cards. A lot of bubble talks and overpriced/hyped threads have been going around. My main point was the money isn’t the only thing that matters. Don’t talk down a card you can’t afford or think prices will drop by hundreds of dollars overnight just because a “bubble” is over. In my opinion we have tons of people joining the hobby which is great. Prices will go up. Ya it could go down slightly or if a seller is desperate but Pokemon is loved my millions of people. All those people all can’t be in a “bubble” haha. Take it easy guys and stay safe :-). Enjoyed the replys and stay positive and enjoy what you have :slight_smile:

1 Like

Close (lock) this thread indeed.

For future reference, don’t just retitle and state “close thread” unless it’s your by thread. This just needlessly creates more work for mods. Let the conversations organically run their course! :blush:

2 Likes