Cards scoring higher grades than they should?

Hey guys, there has probably been a couple topics on this in the past. Was looking around a little, but quick thing.

Just got a couple cards from eBay… Couple 10’s and a 9… and a Base 2 PSA 7 Charizard.

My 10’s don’t look like 10’s they look like 9.5’s… small whitening on single corner… Is this what serious collectors would call a soft 10? Vs a hard 10?

Also the PSA 9 I just got… if it was me… I would say 8-8.5; while the 7; that looks like an 8.

In short - Cards that score higher than you feel… Do we just say - thank you and move on? Or do you say anything to the seller? Or the grade is the grade and value the card as such?

Thanks!
-Mike aka little god :stuck_out_tongue:

How many PSA graded cards do you own?

9 Likes

this is a good resource to familiarize yourself with:

www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards/

If the seller offers returns, then sure you can return a card you aren’t satisfied with, but the better practice is to know what you’re buying first.

It’s your responsibility as the buyer to know what you’re buying, ask for more pictures or more details. It’s not on the seller if you buy a PSA 8 card and you feel it’s a PSA 7. That’s your own fault and PSAs fault, it has nothing to do with the seller.

1 Like

I’d advise you to read through PSA’s grading standards, first. Spend about 1000 hours looking at high resolution pics of already-graded cards, grades 8 to 10, and try to understand why the cards got the grades they did. Then I’d advise you send in cards of your own, spend a good amount of time pre-grading them, then see how well your scores compared to the scores received. Now repeat this process over and over. Then come to realize that you still won’t be able to perfectly understand what a card deserves based on how it looks. There is an inherent subjectivity built into PSA’s grading scale and every grader is going have a small amount of bias that they will be injecting into the grading process when your card is in front of their eyes. Unfortunately, that’s just not something you can predict or account for. It could be bias as to how that card looks versus your other submissions. It could be bias as to how that card looks versus other sets. It could be overall bias about what they believe detracts from the visual appeal of the card. Too many random variables that will prevent you from being able to 100% predict what grade a card will receive. But, with enough practice, you’ll be able to get pretty darn close. Unless you’re submitting shadowless cards. Then PSA just uses random.org to come up with their grade :sob:

1 Like

One word: appeal.

PSA doesn’t have a 9.5. So they have to be 9 or 10. There are definitely ranges of 10’s. Perhaps yours are on the weaker side, but they are still certified PSA 10. Not god10.

It sounds like you are worried about very minor differences and if what you think the card should be is within 1 grade +/- of what it was graded then there is no issue.

If it feels like it is 2 or more grades off you can certainly opt to have PSA review the card. If the grade falls you would be compensated for loss of value. If the grade increases you paid a small fee to bump your card up, congrats! If the grade stays the same you paid a small fee for a valuable lesson - more often than not two PSA experts get it right.

2 Likes

Base 2 zard has a large surface area of holofoil that is easily scratch. A 9 is usually due to scratches, an 8 is due to more scratches, a 7 is usually because of a lot of scratches and whitening

1 Like

A stab I truly deserve and a stab I truly appreciate and am laughing at. Thank you!

Roughly 20 :grin:… Bought a PSA 5, 7, 8, 9, 10’s just so I can see the difference between them and try and learn. Its been fun so far, and I am really enjoying it.

Yes I saw this and read this that PSA does not do subgrades under 9. But this is great advice and I really appreciate it as well! Thanks!

Yes, I will definitely start doing this. Just need to get enough cards (15 for now; for the membership) that I feel worthy of sending in. Don’t want to send in total poop. But thank you as well

To everyone else, thank you. I really enjoy all the help and stabs here and there. This is my type of environment.

2 Likes

In case you haven’t seen it yet, this article and the video by @xgav1337x might be interesting to watch. He got Charizard in PSA-1 through PSA-10 and shows the differences.

Greetz,
Quuador

This was so awesome. Thank you for these! And thank you xgav1337x for the videos! I saw one of Leonharts videos who then introduced me to Smpratte’s videos and now you to xgav1337x… Holy, you guys all make me want to collect more and more and more! So awesome, thanks again!

1 Like