How do you view PSA grades?

I’ve thought about this recently and realized that for me, personally, I only really appreciate two grades most of the time; 9’s and 7’s. There are of course exceptions, when a 10 really is perfect and it’s a card that you love I can see the value.

But 10’s are in my mind given out too arbitrarily to deserve the premium that they fetch, and since 9’s are always considerably cheaper that to me is the better choice. If PSA were more consistent it would be a different story, if I could feel confident that a 10 really is a 10. Since that isn’t the case I don’t feel comfortable paying a premium.

For 7’s it’s the fact that they are still near mint, usually with some whitening on the back and a bit off center, but way more affordable than the higher grades. This grade to me is perfect for cards that would be out of my price range in higher grades, it gives me the option to still own it in decent condition without breaking the bank.

Grades below 7 don’t feel worth having incased and I would rather have it in a binder, except for very rare cards where the authentication aspect carries worth in its own right. As for 8’s they don’t strike me as good a value, I would rather pay a little more and get a near perfect copy or a bit less and get a almost as visually appealing card, maybe with a touch more whitening.

I guess in a sense 9’s and 7’s are “pure grades” to me, they just feel right.

What are your perspectives on this? I would be really interested to hear them!

4 Likes

When you buy a graded card, you’re buying the grade not the card.

2 Likes

Buy the card, not the grade. There is a looot of variation in quality in grades.

3 Likes

I do like 8s but that’s just me :eyes:

1 Like

I am happy with anything above a 7. I expect no creases or dents, and above 8 to not have major whitening issues. Anything below 7 is really a gamble on condition and on why it would be that condition.
I also dont expect to collect 10s because the premium in price just makes them unreasonable most of the time. I would gladly trade 10s for 8s or 9s+price difference in my collection, especially of modern stuff.

1 Like

Not sure if it applies, but I also love PSA 6s because they are often the perfect card to crack for a binder. Minty in many areas except a hard to see dent or crease.

2 Likes

PSA = Please Submit Again
BGS = Bogus Grading Standards

Don’t rule out a PSA 6. My Eevee Fan Club was cracked from a 6. I still to this day can’t find a single thing wrong with it. I think the minimum wage employee at PSA that day was still hungover from the night before and was seeing things (an invisible dent)

I would grade it a 9 due to not 50/50 centering.

5 Likes

I think there are plenty of PSA 6 cards that have a great front, which is the main focus when displayed. Also with rare cards any grade is a value. That’s why trophies and such have the most “authentic only” grades in the pop report.

2 Likes

Personally Im Fine With anything as long as its not bent, torn, or dented. I collect For Past Format conpetitive play, not really to get the best grades, or to resell in the future. So as long as i could give this to someone and they wouldnt kill me on the spot without looking at it in depth. im fine.

PSA 1 - Trash :crown:
PSA 2 - Trash
PSA 3 - Trash
PSA 4 - Trash
PSA 5 - Trash
PSA 6 - Actually a PSA 9 but there was a micro dent you missed
PSA 7 - Ok
PSA 8 - Pretty good (binder bros’ best friend)
PSA 9 - Acceptable quality
PSA 10 - PSA 9 that gets flaunted as a status symbol

13 Likes

I got one 6 that regraded as 9. I think the original grader so a non existing dent. All that to say that 6 are given to clean card with a dent that might not be easily seen so worth checkin

1 Like

I feel this!