Card Storage and Preservation

Hi everyone,

I was going through some of the old posts when I come across this thread. I’d like to share what I’m using to store and protect my cards particularly the PSA graded ones.

I use to collect coins before I turned to collecting rare Pokemon cards and kept my coins stored in Intercept Shield storage boxes. These are archival quality storage boxes that uses a patented technology to trap corrosive atmospheric gases to prevent it from interacting and tarnishing the coins. The technology was developed by Lucent Technologies for those familiar with IT&T industry. They also have storage boxes and envelopes for cards. I keep my cards in these storage boxes. More info about these storage boxes can be found at www.interceptshield.com/boxes.html.

For those of you who understand these chemicals, gases, elements, etc., I would appreciate hearing your comments about using these boxes to store graded cards.

Disclaimer: I’m not in any way connected to these companies and I’m not promoting their products. I just want to hear what other members think about these storage boxes.

Thanks,

Nestor

Ahhh I have heard about these. I use buffered, acid free archival boxes as well (although I do not believe mine neutralize anything else other than acid). Anyway, It would cost to much for me to convert at this point but those boxes do seem neat.

As for gases or chemicals effecting your PSA cards…since they are sealed there is not much chance of any outside elements harming the card. The only “concern” is off gassing from the ink on the card itself which supposedly could get trapped in the case. Do not let it concern you as I have never seen it happen with any PSA item. To me, the biggest enemies of any collection is light and humidity. If you can store your collection in archival boxes, with reusable silica gel (not the stuff from shoe boxes) in a fire proof safe then your prized collection will last damn near forever. However, if you want to be the oppsite of me and enjoy your collection, make sure everything is protected well and can be handled without the fear of damage or smudges (use psa grading bags). In addition, if any of your cards will be on display…always, always, always use UV protection. Don’t let your cards to down the route as the 1998 trophy pikachu card I got burned on.

tldr; Light and humidity are bad for your cards. Store them in a cool, dry place and out of direct sunlight.

I love seeing others ideas and concerns over card protection. If its discussed then as a community we can preserve these cards for the future. The PSA concern is overdoing it a bit though. Having gotten my degree in chemistry and having collected cards for 40 years and being involved with PSA from the beginning I’m confident in the cases long term usefulness.
Loved Scott’s idea though to recase after 20 years…just in case(pardon the pun;)

Thanks Mike. Makes a lot if sense to protect cards as you suggested. The 98 Pika is a heartbreaker. I always struggled between displaying the cards and keeping them securely stored.

Thanks Gary.
I have high level of confidence in PSA holders and I hope PSA continue to look into ways to further improve their encapsulation technology so that our cards will last more than a lifetime. PSA’s parent company invested a lot of money in research and new coin grading technologies the past few years. Would you know if PSA is doing the same with card grading and protection? Cheers.

Lol Mike love the tldr. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the utmost faith in the PSA cases, and thanks for sharing Nestor I will have to look into those boxes.

You’re welcome Jason. I think the storage box is good. They’re not that expensive and I use it just for my trophy cards anyway. When it comes to high-end cards, I’m happy to take the extra protection. Cheers.

Are there PVC/Acid-Free hard-plastic Toploaders available where I can store Jumbo cards and unpeeled vending Sheets? I’ve always been curious about this.

Yes there are! In fact I use the large ones them to protect my sealed Toyota/N64 folders/vending sheets and the medium ones for the phone card envelopes…ultra pro has a variety of cases. The only problem is that I have to use an 8 x 10 soft sleeve and cut it to custom fit those cases as they to not make larger penny sleeves.

As far as where to get them, I go to my local ports card store. Other than that you can try amazon or ultra pros website.

That’s great news, thank you for the info, I’ll look for them. :blush:

I would also be quite interested in how to protect vending sheets, as i have just got myself a complete unpeeled vending 3 and im not sure what to do with it…

Also i found this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170972686707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and am quite tempted to get one to see what its like. Are there any other storage boxes specifically designed to store bulk cards? The only ones i can find are made out of card/cardboard and are really expensive…

After some fruitless search I will need this too, lol.

Good question. I think it might be 8.5 x 11. I never really paid to much attention to size as I tend to just look at things and say “oh that will protect it and fit into my safe” ;p I wish I could be of more help. The “smaller” ones are an odd size 6x9 (maybe 5 x9).

On a side note, I recently ordered a PSA card storage box directly from them. Now the issue I have is that my graded cards will not fit into it unless I remove the soft sleeve around it (even the form fitting one Gary sent wont fit :slightly_frowning_face:) So, should I leave them in the soft sleeves to protect against scratches/smudges, or should I put them in the PSA box for better storage (it holds up to 25 graded cards and has a small slat for each). I’m interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Here is the storage box from PSA I was referencing. With Shipping they charged about $19. $8 for the box and $11 in shipping (typical PSA fashion).

I do not like this box one bit. It is excellent for storing a large number of graded cards (25) but it has its fair share of flaws. For starters, you can’t have your PSA cards in a graded card bag. Second, there is too much movement…when you pick the box up you can hear the cards move around despite each having its own space (see image 3). Finally, the lid is fairly difficult to remove and I always end up bumping the first or the last card when doing so. In short, great for storing a large volume of in expensive PSA cards…bad for those high end rarities…a nice archival box will suffice :blush:

Thanks for sharing this mike. I considered making a purchase from them which might of included this, now it won’t! I was going to get a few of their stand and see how those worked.

Well the case is not horrid…I’m just afraid to scrach my psa cases…other than that they are fine. As for the stand they are great! I got one of those as well…ill post images latter.

I hope I didn’t scratch your #3 SSB case when I owned it Mike!! I didn’t use graded card sleeves at that time :confused:

Another design flaw on these were the rim of the top chipped easily. They may have been toughened up a bit since then though.
With my tight sleeves they wouldn’t fit at all?

Hahaha welll since you menioned it I noticed a small scrach near the bottom :stuck_out_tongue: but it could have came from psa like that and I missed it, for exampe my tropical beach semi finalist. I doubt you did…even so that’s what its there for :slight_smile:

I was honestly bummed…the psa box looks great and it functions well…sturdy too. Its just unfortunate that if I used the graded bags it is one hell of a squeeze :-\

For anyone interested on the stands, here is what they look like. I think this is by far one of the best ways to display your PSA cards!