Question about Card Storage

I have quite a valuable collection of non-graded cards that I have had for many years. For a long time they were sitting within a couple of D-ring binders (each card with an ultra pro soft sleeve around them) within a relatively dust-free cabinet. Recently I moved all of these cards into Dragon Hide binders.

Is this adequate long-term protection? All of these cards are absolutely Mint - in such a condition that none of them have visible scratches or noticeable whitening along the blue on the back of the cards. I made a point only to collect cards that were absolutely Mint (my collection of PSA 9s are actually in significantly worse condition haha).

I have no desire to get these cards PSA graded however, and I have no plans to sell them. I just want them for me. I also prefer them in these Dragon Hide binders because itā€™s much easier to view my cards than if I were to keep them in toploaders in a shoebox.

But my question is - will this suffice as adequate *long-term* protection? I donā€™t really care if some of my PSA 10s become PSA 9s over the years, because Iā€™m never getting them graded anyway (even though financially getting them graded would be the best thing to do, this is a sacrifice Iā€™m making because I *want* my cards in a binder).

I just want to know that my cards will still look Minty fresh by storing them in this way.

So far Iā€™ve been storing them for over a decade and I donā€™t notice any changes.

You stated a few times you didnā€™t want to get them graded but to be honest the best way to keep them in mint condition is to grade them. Especially if they are in as good of condition as you say, it seems like a no brainer to me. If you donā€™t want to drop the money to get a membership I know this forum has an awesome grading service you could use.

D-ring binders are great for storage. I personally double-sleeved most of my cards in a KMC ā€œPerfect Fitā€ sleeve and outer Ultra Pro sleeve. But I am sure a single sleeve will suffice. The important thing is to keep the cards free of dust and pressure. Dust can scratch the cards and pressure can leave an imprint. I believe the general consensus is that side loading pages are better for dust protection. And it is always better to have your binders stored upright than flat down. Never with anything weighing on the pages (the weight of cards on cards is enough). PSA is a good go-to for the most expensive cards.

1 Like

Toploader Binder.
I absolutely love mine.

Check it:

6 Likes

If you donā€™t care if the cards degrade over time ( I donā€™t really care if some of my PSA 10s become PSA 9s over the years) then any standard storage is fine.

Come on, old wise one, quit lying.

I giggled.

what do you meanā€¦ once in psa case, they cant degrade i thought.

I was under the impression that These toploader binders bruh, keeep Cards perfect, there is no way of degredaition, As you put the cards in a sleeve and then you seal the sleeve with another sleeve, then it goes ina toploader, and then in the binder, so there would be no chance of anythin getting through 4 layers of plastic would there? If you put the caRDS in a single sleeve then youd probably have some degridation.

Thatys what i do with my toploader binder cards, and i wanted to build a prsdtine off centered toploader binder of all the best set cards :grin: so what your saying isnt aloud to be true.

Dude humidity will ruin anything. Itā€™s definitely possible for moisture to sweat through a PSA case.

highrulegarden. I think its best if you want the best protection to go with double sleeve, and then into a toploader binder. You just cant go wrong. Side loaded felt binders are good with no rings, plus the card sleeved before going into the pocket, but there just not as good. Id Say a toploader binder/double sleeved is as close to Encapsulation as it can get.

hmmms, well On psa website it says it can survive all humitities and including a major devastative incendent such as a FIRE!

I will throw thingsā€¦ A bgs case includes a sleeve, so It would be basicaslly impossible for humidities to get that. Even better then psa if what your saying is true. I was under the impression that PSA and BGS completly Seal the crap out of there cases, so nothing can get in. Iā€™ll show you my bgs no Raritan zam later, and I canā€™t see any holes or opening for anything to get in, so Iā€™m not sure were you have come up with the things and concluded dis, plz explain the science behind your theorum. However even if double sleeved in toploader binder, its not sealed like a psa or bgs case, now that I think about it. Thereā€™s no weld.

Noā€¦that was a quote by the OP. Not mine lolšŸ˜³

1 Like

I definetly stand by a Top Loader binder. I have mine for my Mew collection and I love it!

Show us all a picture!

The thing I dont like about top loader binders is that they are just soā€¦ bulky. As it stands right now, I much prefer the standard dragonhide/ultra pro/monster binders (minor pros and cons to each).

If someone out there would make 9 pocket side loading sheets made of solid top loader-esque plastic and a zip-up binder to hold them inā€¦ they can have my money.

Haha, sure thing ^^

Hereā€™s the binder side - I like that it has a pocket. I put my first copy of my Mew Promo in there for memories. :heart_eyes:

I added extra pockets for my big cards and sealed stuff. 8)

And some of my collection :wink:

2 Likes

Wow @skinst!

Your collection is adorable and was a wave of memories for me. Impressive!

1 Like

Cue Ultimate Guard;

• 9/4/12 side loading pockets = tick
  • durable stitched in pockets = tick
  • zip up = tick
  • durable outer cover = tick
  • range of colours = tick

They are all I buy now, and they make (in my opinion only) the best 4 pocket binders. Amazing quality.

Edit: why does my tablet autocorrect cue with queueā€¦

Thanks so much ^^! I really should post updated photos in my thread ahahaā€¦

Absolutely!