Card Restoration?

So I have been reading topics on how to remove residue from cards as I recently acquired one with residue. In my research I came across this article from 2008 about card restoration:

www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/features/nerattowle

I’m wondering why, as card collectors, we don’t do this? It seems like the logical step towards getting that PSA 10 when it comes to a nick or scratch. Or is there even a way to do that with TCG cards?

Better question: has anyone actually used card restoration services for their Pokemon cards?

Just wanted to gather people’s thoughts. Because I know there’s a few cards in my collection that I’d be happy to shell out 20-30 bucks for instead of purchasing a new version for twice that much.

This, simply, is the reason. From PSA:

No Grade Definitions

If the grade of your card is available and is listed with one of the following grades, this card was determined to be ungradable for the following reasons.

N-7 Evidence of Cleaning - When a whitener is used to whiten borders or a solution is used to remove wax, candy, gum or tobacco stains.

3 Likes

What about in cases such as what this person claims? I’d wonder if they’d still be available for service. :stuck_out_tongue:

Restoration is a misleading term for this type of product. You can’t really repair the damage done to the fibers of the card. You’re just hiding the damage or replacing it with different damage that appear more aesthetically pleasing.

4 Likes

Very interesting. not sure how big it would be for pokemon though as most valuable cards are generally holo and from what i can tell he can’t do anything about scratches? But who knows if he can remove indents maybe it’s a possibility.

1 Like

I don’t think there will ever be a restored Pokemon card market in our lifetime at least. I would rather own an un-restored PSA 5 trophy card over a PSA 10 restored card.

The market for Pokemon cards is too hyper mint focused, where sometimes PSA 8 and even 9 is seen as a disappointment let alone restored cards. I can’t speak for other card collectibles but a restored comic will frequently get around 20-50% off un-restored prices and these things are 50-70+ years old some with only a handful of issues existing

4 Likes

Ah, well I figured it might be worth asking as I found the article interesting enough. In light of that news, does anyone have any suggestions for removing what looks like food particles off of a card? Was thinking of taking a drop of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and wiping it gently clean that way.

card restoration hangs around the same group of dudes as tape does, theyre bad news!

1 Like

For some odd reason word restoration sounds really bad nowadays. :grin:

Just keep all nasty cleaners away from the card and appreciate the condition as it is.

9 Likes

don’t use your cards as a napkin :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe the best cleaner is Blue Malee, a strain of Eucalyptus only grown in an area near Victoria, Aus. I actually sold the stuff many years ago, as a liniment for aching muscles, before there was a PSA. It has a strong odor that dissipates.
I never knowingly graded a card after using it, nor would I, though it always looked great.

1 Like

I ended up using a dab of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and switched gently from the wet/dry side for cleanup. Worked quiet well, but sadly there’s a scratch on the surface, but barely noticeable. Better a scratch than food residue. I’ll look into that Blue Malee, Gary. Thanks!

It’s actually double l or Mallee.
The place I bought the pure stuff from had operated the farm since the 1850s using the exact same plants the whole time. Can’t recall their name though. I believe others had junk mixtures of it but it sucked. Only that one outfit had the best.
Let me know when you find out their name.

1 Like

Lol!

A bunch of Americans trying to locate something that is within driving distance of our very own @pokemonsyndicate.

You just hate me because Im Black. And by the way if you have been paying attention to the guns enthuzies thread, you would know that i dont need to drive because… I AM GOKU!!! I have instant transmission.

2 Likes

Well I drive a manual transmission so it may take longer

3 Likes

Does it matter what type of restoration was done?

1 Like