Card Arts That Are Better In Person

A couple times I’ve heard folks say that a card needed to be experienced in person or looked better in person. This can often be due to textures or holo patterns not coming across as easily in pictures.

I was inspired to start this thread by a lovely Phione that arrived in the mail today:

The water detail in the background blew me away and wasn’t something I noticed while researching the card.

Please share card art that you feel like has an extra special quality in person that might not be clear from pictures.

9 Likes

Any ex card fits the bill in my opinion, much more sparkly in person:

13 Likes

Japanese full arts and ultra rare cards, especially from the BW and XY era, have such intricate texturing that it’s impossible to appreciate them just through pictures. Oftentimes they look flat in scans (see below) and you just have to get them in good light in person to appreciate them. PSA scans can actually do an ok job of it, but I find that really only the older PSA scans from when they had Economy tier open do the best.

14 Likes

I think CoroCoro Mew is the pinnacle of this, it is an amazing card but in person its a whole level.

Edit: added pic

27 Likes

Thank you! This is not an era I’m familiar with so good incentive to explore it more.

Thank you for sharing the scans! I have a lot of exploring to do in these eras.

I agree this is a classic one!

The English reverse holo Southern Islands Marill is beautiful online, but stunningly gorgeous in person.

13 Likes

I’m assuming this is similar to the coro mew?

11 Likes

The challenge with these for me is just paying up to get the holo in a condition I’d be happy with. But that’s bound to happen with any reverse holo!

2 Likes

Just have to say this fits the bill so perfectly. I obviously knew about the card forever, but eventually bought one and once I got it in I was just blown away. Incredible card.

2 Likes

OMG I love that it’s sparkly but also has an edge to it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Easy answer for me: gold stars (particularly if they’re mint). Photos/scans really don’t do them justice.

Like, they look fine in scans. But they look AMAZING in person. You have to be able to tilt the card and see the gold accents.

5 Likes

What do you mean by “has an edge”?

The glitter holo goes through the whole card, I just couldn’t get the lighting such that it shows the card entirely filled with the glitter holo.

1 Like

By “has an edge” I mean stylistically since it is a Dark Dragonite. The sparkles and the brooding artwork contrast nicely.

2 Likes

My nomination would really be a large majority of cards with an overlay holo like PokeKyun, Radiant Collection, CoroCoro Mew, the Dragonite from the Silver Deck Kit posted above, etc.

But my personal favorite is this Korean Radiant Collection chick :heart: - A “bubble”(?) holo layer that you really have to see in person to believe. Very unique and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it for the first time.

10 Likes

Apart from the reverse holo Legendary cards, I think the Japanese Espeon vmax alt was the biggest upgrade in quality I’ve experienced. Yeah the artwork looks cool, but all the early leaks and pictures made it look flat. Then when I got it, and the sparkles and texture popped, it really struck me how amazing that card is. Only downside, is that was what I was expecting of the other alts so they didn’t have the same “woah” impact when I finally got them in person.

5 Likes

Anything with a rainbow snowflake holo pattern. Sometimes this pattern doesn’t show up at all in scans.

https://imgur.com/a/l5JaHHu

7 Likes

4 Likes

came here to say this lol

5 Likes

:dolphin: :trophy: