Can you just take Pokemon cards on a plane? Limits?

Hi E4,

i would like to know what is all you have to consider when you take Cards on a Plane?
Do you have to make a pre-notification ( like it is with Cash)?
Is there a Limit in any Form except Weight? or in other Words, could you take 10k+ in Cards with you and all is good? or would you get in Trouble?

is there some form of Punishment someone have to consider? Noobtraps?

prefered EU-wise, Us-wise would be intresting to know too.

Safetyaspect?

→ Want to make sure if i ever want to/ or have to, i dont fuck it up.
Could be a cool Guide Idea, iam sure a lot on E4 made Air Travel with Cards and could tell a thing or 2

2 Likes

17 Likes

Slabs apparently look suspicious under the scanner so they almost always check the bag when I travel with a decent number of them

If you bring so many that you look like you’re a merchant you might have to explain yourself. Otherwise it’s not much different than bringing any other goods across a border (if you’re going between countries), there will be an expectation that if you owe duties that you report them or at least have an explanation why you don’t have to (ie. These are my collection, I didn’t buy them on my trip)

4 Likes

People take rolexes and other expensive items all the time. Expect security to take a quick look as you go through, they might rifle through some of it if its bricks of cards that scanners may not penetrate, but it is very unlikely they will snatch out your psa10 goldstars from carryon.

3 Likes

I don’t play Magic but I recently happen to come across this post regarding bringing decks on planes that also corroborates the decks looking suspicious thing.

1 Like

I’ve traveled (US domestic flights) with a few slabs in my backpack while flying a couple times over the past year with no issues. Not sure how many you’re trying to move though, a big pile of slabs might be a little different.

1 Like

As far a security aspect goes it’s no big deal. As people say some less experienced TSA agents may rifle through it as it can look a bit suspicious on the scanners.

Sounds like the concern is more about value crossing international borders.

1 Like

I went through this last year, bringing my entire childhood collection with me. I put all the holos in toploaders and put them inside of an ETB and put all the non-holo rares inside of 2 binders. I was leaving out of the Las Vegas airport thinking that TSA was going to stop me and replaying all the TSA trading card horror stories in my head. In the end they didn’t even ask me to take my binders or ETB out of my bag.

I did this again with 2 deck boxes and a bunch of One Piece, Magic, and Pokemon cards I bought, again flying out of Las Vegas. Same thing, they stopped me for my Nintendo Switch, but didn’t care about the deck boxes at all. (the cards were all holos).

1 Like

I can corroborate this. I was stopped at TSA so that officers could check my deck boxes and MTG cards. :upside_down_face:

They swabbed my sleeves/boxes for explosive and drug residues…

1 Like

Try to avoid Arbok, Ekans, Seviper and the like

4 Likes

What about flying with sealed booster boxes? Do you guys have any experiences?

2 Likes

I would only bring in carry-on. Anything checked has the potential to be opened by customs and I don’t trust it if I’m not personally watching, not to mention could be lost.

1 Like

Never had an issue domestically (US). Id be surprised if you had an issue unless you were bringing massive s amounts of product over a border.

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t risk it - they will open things like wrapped gifts if they need to. Definitely do not travel with a sealed case.

2 Likes

I brought slabs and binders in a duffel bag through HK and Sydney customs on separate flights, and they didn’t say anything :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I travel within the US multiple times a year going to conventions with about 40 slabs and a sealed pack or two inside a tin or within my clothes in a backpack and they’ve never checked the bag going through. Sometimes I’ve also had $2000 in cash too.

1 Like

glad to hear its easier than i expected.
Good to know that sealed could be risky!
@smokemon lol, true

1 Like