Traveling with Pokémon Cards - How to beat TSA?

Hello,

Rumor has it that trading cards set off the TSA scanner.
For loose bulk this doesn’t seem like much of a problem just give yourself extra time to get through security and just open up your card case to show the bulk cards.

The real issue lays in sealed product. Does anyone have experience flying with something like a sealed booster box? Will TSA force you to rip it open? The same goes for even a single booster or blister pack? Is there anyway you can get your collectibles safely through security?

Thanks!

I have traveled with sealed boxes many times. I will always have them safely packaged of course, but easily accessible to TSA. I remove them from my bags prior to the scanner, unless I am traveling with a lot, I will leave them in and wait for security to call me over and inspect the bag. Typically, they will smirk and ask questions about Pokemon, but will never cause any harm to the boxes. I am sure to inform them to handle carefully and tell them what they are prior to them inspecting.

They will then wipe it with some small cloth and test for any substance (drugs) that would set off their system.

All safe, just be prepared and patient to take a little longer at the check in area.

5 Likes

@stibs post is pretty much bang-on. Every time I’ve traveled with boxes of raw cards in my carry-on it has been sent for secondary inspection. Which if you’ve flown more than a couple times you know isn’t too serious but does involve a TSA officer searching through your cards. I’d avoid having stuff like really valuable cards loosely packed in deck boxes or something as someone who doesn’t know the value could easily damage it unintentionally.

I flew across a few states with a couple sealed boxes in my carry on. I felt much safer knowing they wouldnt open it with me being there.

Im about to fly next Friday and I’ll have a bunch of PSA cards and binders in my carry on. Last time they just held me up and searched through it real quick.

A checked bag from 2015

imgur.com/gallery/gKPjI1Y

8 Likes

I was waiting for this post :wink:

Oh wow that imgur comment:

6 Likes

1 Like

Customs: “Whats in the bag?”

GemMintPokemon: “Nothing; just 24 containers of PSA of the finest grade 9.”