Can this dent be flattened out?

Hey all,

upon receiving extra pics of this card which was initially supposed to show surface scratches, I found a rather big indent on the back. Do you think something like this can be saved by flattening between two sheets of glass or is this doomed to be a PSA 6 forever?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think about this all the time Muk. Nothing I’ve tried ever works. The actual card stock is pressed in, its shape changed forever. Any smoothing out (to minimize the appearance of the indent) I’ve tried never seems to really make it seem like it isn’t there.

2 Likes

If this is a PSA 6 (which I know that’s what PSA docks it to) - I want my entire collection to be PSA 6s

4 Likes

Yeah I also think this looks better than some PSA 10s I have and I honestly don’t know why PSA is so disproportionally harsh when it comes to indents. For a binder card I wouldn’t mind this kind of damage, but I want a copy that grades at least a PSA 9 to match my other two PSA 10 Web birds.

5 Likes

@muk, I’ve often thought that dents should be able to flattened out. Dents can be on other things, why not these? If you do the between to sheets of glass method, id put a c-clamp type device overwhelm the dent is to apply extra pressure there. And I also wonder if you sleeved the card, if you could get some sort of rolling device and go back and forth over it with high pressure for a while would do it? I hope you can make something work!

Just thinking of car dents, I’d suggest a mini plunger!

I guess id try suction before pressing, but that would be one interesting contraption to have to make LOL im picturing a top loader hooked up to a vacuum

vr

odds

That’s a binder ring dent. The answer is a definite no, sorry.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer! To be clear, I do not have the card. I just asked the seller for extra photos, which I’m glad I did. This card would’ve cost me about 120 USD and I’m just not willing to take the risk.
I explained my reasoning to the seller and offered 60 USD, which he understandably declined.

It’s a shame though, I really think this dent doesn’t take away a lot of the eye-appeal at all. It’s pretty silly when you compare a card like this to an ‘actual’ PSA 6 with plenty of creases, edgewear and scratches.

2 Likes

for science @muk,

2 Likes

@odds I can get you in contact with the seller if want want to try it for yourself (and for science, of course :wink:).

@muk

“Micro indent the size of a single letter on a dime on your card that you can only see after days of scrutiny and only under a jeweler’s loupe, and doesn’t in any way truly affect the condition, integrity, or eye appeal of the otherwise mint card?”

PSA:

2 Likes

@brendantheclayboy hahaha yeah pretty much :grin:
It’s quite the overreaction IMO, but other grading services sadly have the same practise AFAIK :confused:

1 Like

For better or for worse I don’t think dents affect the final grade at CGC as much as PSA

@pkmnflyingmaster Interesting, I’ll look into that!

Oh ok, good, glad you didn’t get stuck with that! Yeah, I’ve often agreed, that its wild a mint card minus a small unsubstantial dent drops it to the same grade as a card thats all scratched and edge whitened and stuff.

1 Like

I’ve never found a way

1 Like

Idk about you but I wouldn’t mind a new qualifier:
PSA 9(D)

D - dent

Or if PSA can apply the (MK) mark qualifier for these cases of near perfect cards with a flaw that is less noticeable than whitening,

9 Likes

I’ve heard of comic pressing to get smoother books for grading.

Has no one tried a similar technique for trading cards?

1 Like

What is this sorcery? Explain pls

2 Likes

You’re a mad genius :neutral_face: