Buying from goodwill?

Anyone have any experience buying cards from goodwill?

They are typically a bunch of commons/uncommons with a few holos. They are usually in played condition.

If you are looking for bulk, you can pretty much find it, but in regards to collecting… not really

I have bought from them a few times and the cards were in horrible condition and poorly packaged.

If you’re referring to their auctions, I’ve heard bad things about their packaging methods. Many also tend to end at absurdly high prices, most recently a Kyogre Star and Skyridge Gengar, so shill bidding may be afoot. I’ve found some gems at their brick-and-mortar stores, though.

Their auctions are almost always shilled. Most of the better items are pulled from stores and listed on their site, so they do know the cards are somewhat valuable and you can see the same items being listed over and over after ending above ebay prices. Shipping is always outlandishly expensive and most do not pack well. Snagged a very rare N64 boxed variant that was mostly mint and they shipped it in a bubble mailer so it took some damage. I bought a sealed blister n64 controller, they put it in about a 16x16x16 box without anything else inside, literally nothing but the controller which bounced all around and again, was damaged when I received it. Never again.

High risk, sometimes but rarely high reward in my experiences speaking of them on eBay. Bought mostly video game lots but some card lots too. Now in person is a different story. You can see and feel them and no worry of shipment or misrepresentation. I have made some great finds in person at goodwill/thrift type stores, but they are rare and you need to be the first one there or have an inside contact.

I wish I could, all the ones here are horrible. They send all their good stuff to online auctions and when they do have a decent item they look up the retail price and I kid you not they list them as the retail price. For used items lol

I have had some luck with Goodwill on eBay.

In stores I have have some good luck finding pokemon/yugi items but it is very rare. A few times I see binders full of commons that they are asking $40 for and it is really not even worth $10.