Buying bundles - avoiding newer sets?

Hey guys,

So after advice in the other thread I’ve decided the best way to bulk up my collection faster would be to buy some bundles (I can re-sell/swap dupes). However when looking the majority of them do seem to be newer sets. Should I avoid these, given they are quite easily attainable, or is it still good to grab more cards at a better price point?

Other than looking to see how many rares/holos/energies in a bundle - is there anything else to look out for? Seems prices vary wildly!

Generally speaking it’s safe to avoid those modern lots. You can score at times, but with modern it can be a challenge to sell off cards you don’t need, especially if they aren’t from the newest of the new sets. Cosmic eclipse, you could get rid of the cards because set just released. People sometimes get lots of energies in those lots too.

In my opinion it’s just not worth it even at a lower price point. Vintage lots are a different story.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! Out of interest, what would you reckon a cut off would be, Black & White?

For me, BW and before would be a great place to start for lots. I don’t collect anything after BW, but some of the modern is cool too. I only collect sealed product from BW and before.

1 Like

Depends on your goals. Are you trying to collect modern sets/everything or just vintage? In general most lots will primarily be the modern cards at this point. Prices will certainly range too depending on collection size, condition, and relative knowledge of the seller

1 Like

“Buy what you like” is always the advice in this forum. If you like modern, buy bulk modern, if you like vintage, buy bulk vintage. I would recommend avoiding any “mystery” bundles or lots. Try and see if you can buy off someones collection.

1 Like

I’ve started buying people’s collections on ebay but your also running the risk that they have been through the set/collection and taken the more sort after cards from the collection already, I tend to look through there completed listings to see if they have sold individual cards off before hand.

Although it’s not a sure fire way to be sure its good to know.

Selling bulk modern cards can be a good way to help claw back some of the initial outlay.

I found a person selling 3 old folders on Facebook Market place this week but the good cards(mint fire red leaf green charizard ex to name one) were well spred out in the folder and weren’t easy to spot from the poor pic’s, I didn’t pay much more than the charizard is worth and have probably 7/8 part completed gen 3 and 4 sets to sell and 8 mint older ex’s for my collection.

Although I do buy some collections and wonder why I have bothered when a load of junk turns up.

It’s a gamble but it can be a better way than buying singles and I also have a separate folder now with cool cards I’d never of look at buying before.

1 Like

Just refuse to pay more than a certain amount per card. If I’m buying bulk I like to stay under .10 a card as a whole.

1 Like