Buyer/JP websites do you pay conversion fees?

Hey guys asking the guys experienced buying from buyee/mercari japan etc do you guys have to pay a currency conversion fee? If I purchase something in yen and use my credit card to pay with say paypal or something ill get a 3% fee for paying in yen charged to my credit card? Anyway around this? Bank account payment no conversion maybe? Also is it basically impossible to return a damaged card to these sites? Thanks

On some sites you pay a fee and on others you do not.

Buyee converts the currency for you and then charges your payment method in your local currency. So there isn’t a conversion fee per se, although since the rates are calculated on Buyee I can’t say that they aren’t sneaking a fee in there somewhere.

For Zenmarket, you have to deposit money in JPY via Paypal (or bank transfer), so you’re charged the currency conversion fee there. This is why people are hesitant to buy things like Pkonno’s trophies on Zenplus, because if someone’s ahead of you in line you can lose a significant sum of money to conversion fees.

However, even though you don’t get charged a conversion fee, Buyee’s service fees per item are higher than Zenmarket. There’s a value threshold where buying on Buyee becomes cheaper because of this, although I don’t know it off the top of my head.

Edit: and to answer the return question, yes and no. If you get the “inspection plan” on Buyee that adds some protection, but that’s an additional 500 yen per item so many people do not use it. Also, do you want someone untrained “inspecting” your cards? You can file a return request with PayPal, but if you do, it’s basically a one-time thing as I’ve heard you’ll be banned from the service.

If cards are not as described you’re usually left eating the loss.

2 Likes

Thank you that’s what I thought about the return process. Now on Buyee for instance I do see that they do charge a fee obviously for their services as the value in yen once converted over to Buyee in USD is more then the typically google yen/USD converter. But what I’m really asking is when you checkout on buyee say through paypal and you use your credit card are you paying buyee in USD or YEN? Because whenever I use my CC to purchase anything in a different currency I get a 3% conversion charge which is charged from my bank I suppose. Just curious if you guys do pay these conversion fees on your credit card etc or if there are ways around it like paying directly from your bank account

You do not get charged a 3% fee on your CC, your PayPal receipt shows you paid on USD not YEN. Buyee does the conversion fee on their end when paying the seller

1 Like