Paypal conversion rates & US customs

After purchasing a card from the UK throgh ebay, I just noticed that paypal’s conversion rate is significantly worse than what i’m finding on google. Is there a way to avoid these bad rates in the future when purchasing from ebay? Has anyone had better luck using a credit card/bank?
Also, could someone explain to me how import taxes/customs works within the US when receiving Pokemon cards. What is the price threshold at which I’m expected to pay and how much? Also, how does the government go about verifying that a random Pokemon card price matches up with what was declared? what if customs agents decide the declared price is not accurate? For the record, the card is valued at about $250 usd

PayPal always takes a healthy chunk from the conversion rate. In Australia we have a couple of credit cards that have 0 international transaction fees I’m sure there would be some in the US. I get google conversion rates when I purchase in different currencies so saves me a buttload of fees definitely worth it if you can find a CC.

1 Like

when you pay with paypal you have the option of using the conversion rate of your credit card issuer (it is always preset to use the paypal conversion rate)

Only use your own credit cards conversion rate and make sure you have a card with no foreign transaction fees (very easy to find in US from all the major banks)

PayPal charges 4% to convert currency that’s why the exchange seems so terrible.