Binder storage suggestions

Hello everyone. I’ve got about 20ish ultra pro eclipse binders I need to move to another room. At the moment I have them in a closet in stacks of 3. The other room doesn’t have a closet or place where I can place them the way I do now. I was thinking of putting them in a big bin, but I’m worried about the weight damaging them if I stack it like that. Is there a better way of storing large quantities of binders? I also find the ultra pro binders too flimsy to store vertically.

I’ve found that an inexpensive shelf unit like this works pretty well for Ultra Pro Premium binders

10 Likes

My mistake, I typed premium when I meant to say Eclipse. I find those binders flimsy compared to the premium ones. For that reason I lay them flat, rather than storing them vertically.

1 Like

Do not store binders in a way that can damage cards under the weight of the binder. I store binders with the spine facing up. It lets the pages hang without damaging the cards due to weight.

If you store binders this way (in large boxes, on shelves, etc.), you’ll be good to go.

I used to do this but found the pages to sag enough to touch the shelf and start to possibly curve the outer column of cards. I’ve been starting my binders on their spine.

I’ve never had that problem as my 3-ring binders extend far enough to prevent the pages from reaching the surface.

You don’t find that the cards slide out sideways, when stored like this?
:thinking:

I use Protection Dex binders which have a thick elastic band to keep pressure inward on the covers, and the covers are the most rigid of any pro binder. For these reasons(?) the pages have never sagged on me. (You have to be careful not to let the elastic band snap in between the pages, but just take your time.)
BUT if you’re truly worried about sag, gravity, or torsional stresses, I’d imagine that storing flat with a sturdy cover and clean pages is the only true way to avoid damage.

Perhaps, hanging (Like Dyl said) but with 9 pocket platinum 3-ring top-loading binder pages would be the best way to go. No chance of “ring ding” because they’re hanging. No warping. No sliding out sideways. No pressure on cards.
But it might be awkward to lift, and limits the storage capacity.

For my 3-ring binders, they are top-loading which prevents the cards from sliding out. For my VaultX binders, the cards would never fall out. They are very snug because of the page design and the dragon shield sleeves that I use.

1 Like

Ah! larger sleeves, there ya go! I prefer no sleeve or perfect because of the clarity, but they can move… :unamused:

IMG_1735

5 Likes

All cards are in penny sleeves which keeps them in place pretty well. I’d imagine they would start falling out if not sleeved.

2 Likes

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with storing binders on their face horizontally rather than vertically like a book. This will not damage anything, even if you have a stack of binders on top of each other.

2 Likes

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you please clarify how does keeping the binder just upright causes damage to the cards under binder weight? I have always kept my binders just upright like regular books and It just seems to be ok and not cause any issues. Maybe I am missing something.

Cheers!

2 Likes

If you have a 3-ring binder and the pages are heavy enough, they can sag. Depending on the page size and the width of the protective portion of the binder, it can lead to the bottom-right corner card getting an unequal amount of pressure from the surface and the bottom-left corner card pushing against the metal ring. This was mostly a concern with older binders that stored very large amounts of cards.

The issue with stacking binders like magazines is that unnecessary weight is being placed on the cards that are closer to the surface. If you are using a 3-ring binder, that can lead to binder dings.

1 Like

“ring dings” are one thing, but if it’s a pro binder, the pressure on the card shouldn’t matter. No?
Pressure at the bottom of a stack of material is greater than at the top, but we’re not talking hundreds of feet, like a building. For a stack of what is effectively paper, several binders (without rings), flimsy or otherwise, should be fine. Yes?

It’s not something that I would do (especially with unsleeved cards), but it’s probably fine. My only concern would be the rigid surface of the face of the binder putting unequal pressure on the right side of the first few pages if weight is not evenly distributed.

1 Like