Binder Collectors Unite!

I generally get tired of seeing the PSA/graded threads since I don’t relate too much to the hype. It’s nothing personal - I just don’t care much for the aesthetic and I also can’t afford it.

So I’m curious to see who else collects purely for the sake of buying cards to put them in binders? Yeah, sure you have a graded/slabbed card here and there but your main goal is to just enjoy opening a book full of your beloved cards and seeing your collection completed and/or growing.

I’m also curious as to why you collect for binders? For me, opening a binder and seeing my cards always feels nostalgic of my childhood when I first started collecting. It’s also a great way of organizing my collection, keeping it in a small space, and allows me to showcase it and share it easily with others. The few times I go to events and share collections, I love seeing how people interact with my collection and love being able to do that the same way with theirs.

24 Likes

I dabble with both PSA graded cards and binders, however the majority of my binder cards mean more to me.

The reason I love my binder cards so much is because I still have a bunch of the older wotc cards I collected when I was young as well as the cards I used in competitive play. Thankfully I kept most of the 1st edition cards I had in a separate binder (since those 1st edition packs were hard to come by) and I eventually got the majority of those graded and sold them during the Pokémon GO hype. I don’t really regret this decision as at the time I needed the money and the prices were at an all-time high back then so I felt as though I did very well. However, I made sure to keep my unlimited cards that I played with some back in the day and weren’t in terrible condition. I don’t have all of my cards from childhood but I do have a bunch of them as well as some cards from the Pokémon GO era as a few friends and I got back into collecting a bit and played some competitive together.

Lately I have been compiling cards from a few smaller binders into one bigger binder to properly showcase the cards I loved most. I have been more of a collector of my favorite Pokémon instead of sets (though I had and sold some wotc sets) so I kept binder pages for my favorite Pokémon and have quite a few cards for each of my top 6. (Dragonite, Gyarados, Garchomp, Lucario, Feraligatr, Tyranitar) So I am organizing the binder a bit with the cards I cared most about and will sell the extras that I no longer need eventually. I also managed to find a few gems in those old binders too that I didn’t sell with the rest…

My prized possession was from my 1st edition binder that I pulled those ~20 years ago, as I had a handful of 1st edition and unlimited Fossil Dragonite cards in the binder that I decided to get graded. Seeing as how I was always a player first and collector second, I just wanted at least one card to get a 9 so I could proudly say to people this one was MY Dragonite. When I got back the cards I actually had a PSA 10 1st edition Dragonite among them that made me the proudest Dragonite card owner ever!

Overall, I plan to keep all my most meaningful cards in one big binder that I will keep and cherish forever, as collecting isn’t simply about the value of your cards, it’s about the memories and meaning behind them. Now I could purchase a bunch more expensive cards to make a more desirable/expensive binder display but that wouldn’t mean as much to me personally, so I’m sticking with the personal nostalgia. Granted I know some don’t prefer this or simply can’t as their original cards were lost (I sympathize, as friends/family stole a bunch of mine) but I take immense pride in being able to say “I remember when I went over to my pal Kevin’s house and we opened packs and I pulled THIS very card on his couch!”

Also, I understand where you are coming from in regards to the binder appeal @azulryu, as that’s originally how we all displayed our most cherished cards back in the day. Sure PSA cases are a great way to display those prized cards that we love most, but can’t beat the pure nostalgia of flipping through each others binders back in the day coveting each others collections!

4 Likes

I’ve collected so many different things over the years. To me, a flawless card deserves to be in a case so I collect certain PSA 10 (and some 9) cards in cases. But one thing I learned when I collected MtG cards, at least for me, is that it’s nice to have a balance. Too many graded cards become overwhelming and hard to enjoy, not to mention for security may eventually end up in a place like the PWCC vault, a bank vault or some other such place. Do you really “have” the card when you can’t even keep it in your possession to look at and enjoy? To me, binders are the best solution to this issue. I keep binders of every set I collect and am pretty obsessive about the condition of the binder cards. I like them to feel “pack fresh” but not so perfect that I feel an obligation to have it in a slab for protection. I am much more choosy about the sets and cards I collect PSA slabbed cards for because I’ve learned that while it is fun it can also get to be hard to enjoy. A mix of graded cards and binders is the happy medium for me to best enjoy the hobby.

That said, binder cards aren’t as “sale-able” as PSA slabs unless you get them re-graded so that’s another consideration. Enjoyment vs pure investing.

7 Likes

I hear you Azul. Personally, I agree that there’s nothing better than a minty binder set. It’s the best way to appreciate a lot of card art at once, especially seeing the way the cards of a set have synergy with one another. That’s why it’s a goal of mine to own every (or as many as I can) English and Japanese exclusive card from the first two generations for my binder collection.

But with some of the higher value cards in the hobby it can be so hard to justify keeping mint copies of them in a binder.

I personally opt for a balance of the two myself. I love being able to flip through my near mint+ sets and just appreciating the art but I also appreciate the value professional grading brings to a collection. When I hold a card that I know sells for 4 or 5 figures it just feels like something that needs to be protected.

4 Likes

That is a conundrum of binder sets. Some of the cards are just so darn valuable in the condition one would want

1 Like

@azulryu damnit, you beat me to making a binder thread lol. Really glad to see someone here breaking the usual norms with a positive post such as this, so thank you!

As for my thoughts here, binders are great because not only do you have a way of viewing cards in such a compact setting, but the customization and ideas for making a binder set can be endless. I really enjoy obscure ideas which can really define an individuals wants or loves just by what they decide to collect and display. Some go for that full 151 binder idea, others do a full base set or other sets, and some are even more unique and telling than that! It holds not just nostalgia and love, but a huge personal value of ones self which to me is more than money could ever buy so ill always honor those who go these routes in their collecting journeys.

As for me, I currently have a few ideas for binders which are all works in the making. these three ideas are as follows:

1. a binder with wholesome arts that just give me with some sort of happy feelings. (this idea came from a thread i made a few months back asking about cards with wholesome art that others love)
  2. A binder with pages dedicated to each of my favorite pokemon through cards from various sets/promos/etc
  3. A binder featuring all the pokemon from the jotho region, as well as all the trainers featuring those whom made their first appearance in gen 2 (professor elm, marys request, and things of that nature)

All and all, as much as I love my graded cards, which i have a decent amount of, a binder will always hold a special place dear to me. It doesnt matter what it is you collect or how you collect, but at the end of the day if youre having fun and sharing that happiness with others in the hobby, youve already solidified your place as a real collector. Again, thanks for this steer away from the usual norms :blush:

6 Likes

I do agree with most of you.

Imo the PSA grading should be left for extremely high end cards such as trophies, some 1st and/or maybe if you plan to mount them in a display, that’s it.

There’s something very tangible in having the raw card in hand. Currently i think there’s a lot offer for both(even tho is getting very hard to buy mint ungraded cards) so that’s good for us who prefer mint ungraded cards.

3 Likes

I am Binder Gang for life! They are so much more accessible to flip through and enjoy than boxes full of plastic slabs. However like some have said, it can be a little awkward knowing how much some of them are worth and wanting the protection a PSA slab provides. Which is why I just buy for my own enjoyment, not for the “investment” value. That’s what stocks or real estate are for.

3 Likes

I love your ideas for binders in the making!

My current binder project is very similar to that, just I am working several binders into one which will embody older personal collection, favorite Pokémon, competitive deck/team Pokémon, etc. My older binders were very battered and worn so I bought a pristine binder that contains like 480 slots, but will contain 500+ cards as I have quite a few duplicates double stacked. I’m in no rush to complete this project as going through everything still provides that boost of nostalgia, but look to complete it eventually.

I’m glad to see others who share a similar appreciation of obscure collection ideas, and wish you the best of luck on your binders!

3 Likes

I love my binders! I enjoy seeing the cards 9 at once, flipping through pages, and including cards I pulled myself. I do collect PSA cards as well but my binders are my main collection passion.

It does make me a bit uncomfortable to have potential PSA 10s in binders, so I’ve been grading those candidates over the years and replacing with cracked 9s.

2 Likes

I try to collect master binder sets, or as close as feasibly possible. It’s more fun for me to look at the cards in binders. Maximum nostalgia and sense of completion.

4 Likes

I mostly only collect raw cards, and I find it much more satisfying than collecting graded cards. The only thing that I really love about PSA graded cards is that you know what to expect condition-wise. I’ll typically pay somewhat more than raw for a PSA 8/9 version of a card to crack simply because it saves me the hassle of having to deal with misgraded cards. So I think there is definitely a place within the hobby for a third-party grading service. It would be interesting if there were such a service that was cheaper but didn’t encase the card. A third-party service that charged $2-3 a card but only issued a label (or maybe sent back the card in a toploader/card saver with a tamper proof seal) would be highly valuable, IMO, since there is a sizable segment of the market that is both highly condition-sensitive but also not interested in collecting slabs. IDK – but anyway, I’m in total agreement with you about raw card collecting. It’s much more enjoyable to me. But I do see the appeal of collecting graded cards, and the protection aspect is definitely valuable to some extent.

2 Likes

Also #bindergang, probably sounds kinda cringey but it makes me feel like I’m filling up the pages of the Pokedex :blush: I’ve never been very sensitive to condition unless the card is worth like $1k+ on its own. I buy PSA 5s and 6s all day long and bust them out to put them where they belong.

4 Likes

You’re describing myself. I buy 97 percent binder cards. And a few PSa 9s. Why do I collect binder cards? 1. Because I like viewing them in a binder better 2. Much cheaper price. 3. I’m not picky about quality. I just don’t collect cards with creases or heavy scratches/damage. Light played to near mint/mint is good enough for me. 3. Ungraded cards still go up in value and are generally value buys with sometimes bigger percentage gains. 4. Simply because it’s addicting. I love putting binders together. I just ordered over 100 cards last night from various sellers. About to put together a very nice mint binder. For newer sets and eras not as old I like going for mint cards in case I ever grade them down the line. Lastly PSa cases make for great protection but I feel like they are better used for selling cards vs collecting. I do like the look of PSa cards and i would love having all high grades but in reality the price would be more than I can afford. Also I couldn’t flip thru a huge collection unless I got a PSa binder which I’ve seen a few of. Having tons of graded cards in boxes and having to look at them one at a time takes away some of the appeal I love from viewing sets all together :-). Not talking down graded cards. Like I said I wish I had all 10s but I like being humble and collecting what I can afford :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m a binder collector because I like to see them all together. Graded is too expensive and hard to store and be able to look at your cards.

4 Likes

There’s not much more to add, but I’m here to support the crew.

I like binder collecting because the cards are usually cheaper, sets look good together, and the approach is a continuation of what I did when I first got started.
There’s still a place for graded cards, though – and I don’t just mean for crackin’ purposes! :grin:

3 Likes

What are your preferred combos for your binders? I go with penny sleeves and Legion Dragon Hide binders. I like how they look. The black pages make the cards look great and I like the look of the covers.

2 Likes

I use penny sleeves as well and the ultra pro Pikachu binders, but it’s getting harder to find the high quality ones. They had a second production of them that are much flimsier.

3 Likes

I go with ultra pro sleeves and a mix of binders for raw cards. Ultra pro pikachu binderS, ultra pro premium binders, and totem binders. Just for some variety. I also have totem 3-ring binders that hold about 24 PSA cards each in special rigid plastic sleeves. Great way to get the binder effect for PSA cards. The limitation in terms of room on those is nice because it forces you to think about only collecting your most favorite cards in slab form

2 Likes

I also prefer Ultra Pro’s deck protector sleeves and deck builder’s premium binders. Will have to check out the PSA binder sheets at some point.

2 Likes