Rising Importance of Binder Collections

Just thought this would be an interesting thing to bring up. I’ve always purchased both graded cards, and what people would call “binder copies”

ones that are either very nice looking on the front, but not all around, or just help fill out a set whilst “loved.”

I found myself thinking about the amount I think about my binder sets vs my graded cards now, and since the pandemic began and prices have skyrocketed I have spent a very significant amount more time on my binder sets than in the past. I’ve even gone out of my way to find nice binder cards to replace ones I’m selling at price points that are appealing enough to me to sell.

I was just curious if any other long time, or even newcomer collectors found themselves spending more time thinking about their binder collections recently, and if so why

Cheers =)

20 Likes

I am a binder collector, through and through - always have been and always will be. I only see grading services as a means to maximize the monetary value of a card, so then it can be sold to generate capital to buy either more cards to grade or more cards for my binder.

Pokemon card collecting was one of my first hobbies, I bought my first packs before I even played the games. I would buy theme decks and stare at the set lists, checking off the cards I had pulled. And of course, whatever I pulled would go straight into the binder I had bought alongside my first few packs.

I will never forget that day I bought my first cards. There’s something special about pulling a card straight from a pack, holding it in your hand, and sliding it into its spot in the binder (and of course, being able to pull it back out of the binder and look at it some more). I always dreamed of completing every set but never thought it was possible, but after getting heavily back into the hobby last year and discovering this community earlier this year, I definitely believe I can make those childhood dreams a reality at some point in my life.

13 Likes

I have been a binder collector for about 4 years now and most recently have started collecting psa graded cards. Binder cards go well in sets. Sets of 2, 3, 4, 5, or 8, or even 16 cards. But the cards I want in my psa collection will be cards that I value dearly and want to have encapsulated forever to display

5 Likes

I was always mainly a binder collector, although I also like to collect PSA9 copies of wotc era cards specifically. Picked up several PSA9 cards in the first months of the year, but since then nearly all of my purchases have been binder cards, mainly owing to the price spikes. The majority of graded cards I have bought this year have been 6, 7 and 8’s that I have cracked for my binder collections. Going forward my main focus will most likely continue to be on my binder collections. It gives me much more value and joy, and is still somewhat affordable.

3 Likes

Yesterday I realized my NM/M Base Venusaur alone is now worth as much as the whole binder was a year back. It’s really tempting to grade and sell cards like this, but it would be a shame to break up nice binder sets.

7 Likes

Binder collector here! I enjoy looking through my binders 10x more than my graded cards. Except when I look through them I always find flaws on the back I want to upgrade. I’ve spent 10x as much time, and probably much more, curating my binder sets vs my graded cards

10 Likes

I only started going after graded Pichu cards when it became incredibly hard to find certain cards which hadn’t already been graded. Most of my other collections are in binders and that’s where they’ll stay.

Due to the price hikes recently I’ve only been focussing on Pichu as other cards which aren’t my primary objective are becoming too expensive, so my binder collections have been put on hold for now. I’m sure when the prices come tumbling down I’ll be continuing with my binder collections as before.

I have admittedly broken apart some of my binder cards recently. If someone’s prepared to pay $150 for a card I picked up last year for under $5 I’m certainly not going to decline.

5 Likes

I feel the same way with mine. Considering grading all the holos now. I should have gotten more played copies, haha.

1 Like

I love graded and ungraded cards both but binders will always be special and the true way that Pokemon should be viewed (to me of course). Naturally you will spend WAYYYYYY more time on binder sets than on graded cards due to overanalyzing every pixel of the card in your hand to determine condition and endless amounts of times dealing with refunds for inaccurate condition listings, etc. Graded cards you can buy and get what you get and then shove it in a box or put it on display.

Ever since the hard jump in prices I’ve been staring at my binder sets more and more and collecting more and more cards for them. I’ve almost elimated graded cards completely from my collection (just a few more expensive ones that need to be slabbed for price and protection). Being an OCD person makes binder collecting tough though. Spend a lot of money on binders, sleeves, etc and being very delicate with the pages and cards is important.

For me - the biggest issue with graded is price and space. Grading is expensive and I can’t keep all my cards on display like I like them. Flipping through a binder gently and admiring 18 cards at once is priceless and how cards started for a lot of us. Keep those $1000 cards in a slab on a shelf and keep everythign else in a binder. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I absolutely hear you on this. Every card in my collection (bar duplicates of bulk) will be sleeved and put in a binder at some point - which is both incredibly expensive and time consuming. I’m convinced I have mild OCD, because every set needs its own binder and only one binder per set, no exceptions. This means newer sets from Sun/Moon - present will need to be in 3-ring binders, since the set lists are so big they won’t fit in other standard side-loading 9-pocket binders.

The only cards I would buy graded/keep slabbed would be grail cards. I’m a long way away from that, but any other set card I buy graded will likely just be cracked for the binder!

3 Likes

I’m working on a mint full art binder set and it has not been an easy journey haha. A lot of these cards weren’t printed too well so I’ve had to crack a fair few PSA 9s for it. I think binder sets, depending on the extent you take it, can be just as hard to complete as your graded collection. For me, it’s a side project that I’ll keep with me for life. I got back into this hobby in part because I loved the full arts from BW/XY and I’ve decided to keep the journey going (minus most of Sun and Moon, sorry GX era).

Binder sets represent, I think, the most basic form of collecting in this hobby. Condition doesn’t matter quite as much which opens up the possibilities to any collector. Almost all cards are infinitely more available in played condition which makes completing binder sets a much more appealing option to anyone who just wants to own a copy, condition aside.

5 Likes

I recently started selling off some of my graded cards, either to fund binder collections I’m doing, or because I own both binder copies and graded copies of the same card and I will always enjoy flicking through a binder more than moving around stacks of slabs.

2 Likes

Binder collection is the true way to go, to cultivate a collection and order the way you want, to arrange in a way unique to you, and of course have them close to each other. And pages are just the appeal of cards in general. They just look so nice. I only am interested in getting a graded set of shadowless base because of their sentimental value to me, in a way I can display them in a different way without having to take out the binder. It is the only set I will ever have 2 of. One for my binder in their pokedex order, and a second graded set (grades don’t matter as much as strong fronts) for a new way to display them in the future. Graded cards owned by collectors are truly only meant for the aesthetically pleasing slab, regardless of grade. Because once you know you have a mint card you could just pop it out anyway. So the only reason you are keeping it in the slab at that point is because how nice it looks in the slab. Like a museum piece. And that is nice as well.

3 Likes

Love my binder collections. I have been a binder only collector esentially. Dislike graded cards so much I’ve even cracked out psa cases to fill spots… couple 9’s :zipper_mouth_face: but it’s all about what you love!

For viewing pleasure the binder hits so much nicer.

3 Likes

Binders are so much better. I feel with graded cards the emphasis is near completely on the number, which actually thinking about it, it is, hence the grade . .
A binder can be made up of nice, clean cards and you enjoy the cards for what they are and not obsessing on the microscopic flaws on the cardboard.
Saying that I do like my slabs of my favourite cards and for display purposes a slabbed card is fantastic, I just get more enjoyment looking through my binders.

3 Likes

I enjoy binder collections. It’s fun just to flip through them and see my collection, check out the card art. Foil cards, I sleeve and put into a toploader for display, then put an energy card facing backwards in the binder to say “I have this one.” I have a few slabs, but those are just because I like the aesthetic. I don’t really care about the grade.

1 Like

Love the thread. I would say its back and forth with me. Sometimes I’m super pumped to work on binders and sometimes(like now) I am super hyped on graded cards. I think binders really allow you to highlight commons and uncommons you wouldn’t normally get graded. Also on terms of set binders seeing all these cards in order from a set from you childhood or one that you just love all together on pages is a fantastic feeling. :grin:

3 Likes

Used to have a binder collection way back when I was a kid and collecting during the Base through Gym era, but never had a huge collection. I think a binder collection is the best and easiest way to get into collecting, and it’s what I plan on doing as I’m returning to the hobby.

My brother-in-law completed his base collection awhile back, and has started working on Jungle/Fossil/Rocket since I’ve been getting back into it. It’s just so fun to look through a completed binder.

1 Like

Binder is great for newer cards, as they’re generally cheaper.

Everything else, I think if it’s worth quite a bit, you’ll kick yourself later for not grading it and keeping it in the best condition possible, both to perserve the item and also the value.

1 Like

It’s not that difficult to preserve the condition of cards in binders. I have some pretty pricy NM/M sets in binders and I don’t worry about the condition deteriorating at all. I would only consider grading them if I wanted to sell them, which I don’t intend to. As long as you’re using the correct sort of binder and sleeves, and storing the binders correctly, then there’s no real risk of damage to the cards.

3 Likes