Binder bois, where do you get your cards?

Hello I know a lot of you guys are big binder collectors. I was wondering when it comes to cracking slabs for your binders what grades do you crack? I remember there was some madman on e4 a year or so ago cracking 10s but I wanted to know what the avg binder collector considers for their binders?

(I know it varies on the card type, a 1st ed base holo may have more wear allowance than a neo holo to most people, but the name of the game is average cracking)

Thanks

I will most commonly seek out X Grade to crack for my binder…
  • PSA 6
  • PSA 7
  • PSA 8
  • PSA 9
  • PSA 10
  • CGC 7
  • CGC 7.5
  • CGC 8
  • CGC 8.5
  • CGC 9
  • CGC 9.5 (new)
  • CGC 10 (new)
0 voters
4 Likes

I wish there were a way to vote for multiple of these…just because as someone who cracks, sometimes the price difference between a 7, 8 or 9 forces me to go lower or higher than I want.

3 Likes

Typically cgc 8.5s are the best deals so I crack those and psa 8 almost exclusively

1 Like

I do PSA 5-8, I personally would never crack a 9 unless its modern

4 Likes

It depends.

The most important factors to me are:

• How nice the card looks regardless of the stated grade
  • How expensive the card is
  • How much the card would be raw vs graded
  • Whether it’s modern or vintage

For most vintage cards, I crack PSA 6-9 or CGC 8.5-9. For most modern cards, I crack PSA 8-10 and CGC 8-10. If there is a huge 10 premium, I won’t crack 10s.

6 Likes

Went through my beloved label collection and roughly estimated an average of 8. But I agree with @Dyl , any grade/grading company is fair game as long as the card’s appeal brings you satisfaction. I find myself mostly avoiding holo scratches. But yeah no slab is safe…

9 Likes

TCGplayer LP or NM for me. Especially for modern it will most likely have an issue with centering or the back which in a binder are kinda irrelevant so that is good enough for me. Skips a step in terms of cracking slabs. But if I had to crack slabs i would probably crack PSA 8s

2 Likes

I’m definitely not going for great condition in binders. It’s just not that important to me in that medium. Don’t think I have ever cracked a 7 or higher. If I really needed a binder card and had a higher grade of it, then I’d just sell the higher grade and buy a lower grade or raw card.

3 Likes

Cracking a WOTC psa 8 feels almost like a crime to me, even if they’re cheap. I can’t do it since it’s the grade that I chose to collect.

I’m considering cracking some redundant ex era holo that I have and I don’t want to sell, but it always feels overkill to me lol

I’ll generally buy cards raw if I can, although with vintage holos it’s generally ‘safer’ to buy graded as many people do not grade surface condition well on old holos in my experience. I tend to go for PSA 5-8 grades to crack out. Some 5s or 6s can look really good and just have a minor surface dent or heavy whitening that will often still be fine in a binder set. You can definitely save a ton buying these and building up sets. I’ve bought my vintage cards all over the place; eBay, PWCC, TCGplayer, LGSs, Heritage, random online shops, etc.

With modern cards, I will buy raw NM pretty much exclusively unless I can get like a PSA 9 or something for the same or less money than NM to crack out. Otherwise if it’s a card I really like I will buy it in a 10 and store away if I want it in a 10 instead of my binder.

5 Likes

8 is my baseline. If I can find an 8, I buy an 8. Before I buy one I look at the front and back to check centering and make sure there’s no conspicuous edgewear that will bother me.

For lower-value cards where the markup on a 9 is still a reasonable cost, I will buy 9s. Usually if it’s $150 or less I will consider a 9. It’s not a guarantee I will go for the higher grade but I’ll at least consider it.

I will also buy 7s if the 7 I see is well-centered and has no edgewear. Many of my best deals have been 7s. But most 7s do not fit my criteria.

4 Likes

My binders need to stay in the PSA 7-5 range so I never get tempted to risk grading.
I have only ever cracked one card for my binder simply because it was cheaper to buy a CGC 8.5 than to purchase the card raw.

I am not in a rush to complete a binder, so I don’t stress about finding the right card in the right condition. There will always be a better card in raw condition and I save the grading fee + risk of damaging the card.

1 Like

I buy raw cards. I do not buy graded unless absolutely necessary, meaning that I am having trouble finding the card raw. I only have cracked a single PSA9 card before and I have one PSA8 which I still have to crack. I always felt that buying a graded card is not worth the premium if I am going to crack it anyways.

I also just buy the raw cards from Mercari JP or YJP. I feel it is easier to group or bundle more cards and negotiate better prices when it is a raw card as compared to slabs.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Binder Bois assemble!

I put PSA 8, but generally go between 7-9 depending on the actual card condition, price point and priority in my collection. For example, expensive cards that I want but are not obsessed with I’ll grab a 7, whereas if the condition and price are really good I’ll get a 9.

I recently bought all the Japanese base set holos to crack, and was able to get mostly PSA 9’s between $50-100 each.

4 Likes

I would guess it’s gonna be 8s mostly but nowadays a ton of 9s are at raw prices too

1 Like

I would vote multiple options, from 5-8. Ive seen some 5 that under no circumstance should get a 5 (at least a 7) and ive seen 8 that under no circumstance should be getting an 8 (at most a 6).

1 Like

My binder collection is mostly L/P cards, as long as the front isn’t awful.
If I get a PSA 8 back from grading on a low-end card it’ll go in the binder.

3 Likes

I buy raw cards but will break a case or two on occassion if its in a condition I like and selling less for raw. Just broke a CGC 8 for a Paldea Evolved Magikarp for the same reason.

Otherwise I just buy most of my stuff as singles or the occassional trade.

I’ve only cracked one PSA-graded card thus far, back in 2018 or so. At the time I already had a PSA-10 copy and couldn’t find any raw ones for sale, so I bought this PSA-9 and cracked it. :person_shrugging:

(unlimited edition)

I’ve voted PSA-8 above, though.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

I find PSA 7 to be the optimal price/condition trade-off, sometimes PSA 6 but that’s a bit more of a coin toss.
The ideal binder cards are 6s with near-invisible dents.

1 Like