Biggest discovery ever? My contribution to Pokemon history.

So as I scroll through page 115 of the Most recent purchase thread I come across the three Vulpix that @celestialdragon just posted. I never had any strong feelings towards Base Set Vulpix, but somehow my eyes got stuck on them for a brief moment. And then I felt something. A warm familiar feeling of fake late 80s - early 90s nostalgia, when I wasn’t even alive.

Why the Vulpix artwork puts in me such a specific mood? I honestly don’t know. But I do know it has something to do with the pitchblack background and its starry light rays. And then it hits me - I had this feeling once before! Namely when I saw the CD promo Mew for the first time. Of course I had to look it up immediately.

This is what I found:

To fully drive my point home, I did a little editing:

It’s now official, Base Set Vuplix and CD Promo Mew do share the same background (minus Mew’s b.ubbles of course).

Pokemon TCG history needs to be rewritten.

I really hope this information improves your life and I wish you a wonderful day. Thank you for reading.

muk.

57 Likes

This is the most important thing I’ve read all day :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I enjoyed that thoroughly, thank for having me observe a card closely that I normally don’t observe. It is a pretty card. I’m gonna poke through my commons and stuff again.

2 Likes

Very cool observation! Thanks for sharing. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @muk, you’ve now caused base Vulpix value to skyrocket, pricing me out of my goal to buyout the entire market before anyone noticed.

5 Likes

Wow! It’s so obvious after you pointed it out . . . excellent observation!

1 Like

13 Likes

12 Likes

I will never trust anything in this world again.

3 Likes

I absolutely love this

2 Likes
6 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words! Glad you’re as excited about it as I am! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Very cool

1 Like

This is why I fuck with muk. dem stock arts at it. Justifies the HP50 and 10 count.

2 Likes

This is blowing my mind… What makes it even more interesting is the fact that when it first came to the states no one knew the mew was even a thing back in Japan. All these years later the truth is revealed.

Is it genius or laziness on Sugimori’s part? Is he in charge of the background too? haha

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s Sugimori himself who re-uses parts of artworks, but here is another example of lazy re-use of parts of existing artworks - also all by illustrator Ken Sugimori (which I posted earlier in the TIL thread):

Tbh, I think Ken Sugimori only makes illustrations of the Pokémon and persons themselves, and someone else adds the backgrounds. That’s also why almost all Ken Sugimori artworks during the WotC era had a basic background (which were actually great background choices for his art style :blush: ). Ken Sugimori is probably one of the few illustrators who doesn’t design the entire Pokémon TCG card artwork, but only a part of it.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes