BGS updates their website and label

If I am honest, not really a fan of the new label or case! Looks a bit cheap and tacky to me. The old BGS cases and label for me feel more premium, I actually think that was one of their stronger selling points. On these prototype cases it looks like the label is silver for the lower grades though which I think is much better. Not a fan of the old white labels which is why I only own bgs 9 or better.

It’s interesting, seems to be dividing the crowd at the moment, a bit like marmite. :smile:

2 Likes

Big fan of the new label and website. I’ve always put off submitting to Beckett because of those reasons as well as the bulky case. Think I will finally be making a submission when I’m sure they are using this new design.

For me, nothing could be worse than CGC and its pale gradient label. It feels like it’s from 1993 and not in a good way.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m devastated.

This could actively harm their market in non-sports

2 Likes

The Silver label on the page appears to have that cheapo iridescent reflectivity that the old labels do not have.

I just emailed them asking this same question. I’ll let you know what they say. Not sure what result you are hoping for but I asked them nicely to keep my sub in the old label.

Idek what to do honestly. I grade with BGS for strictly aesthetic purposes (not like they are the strongest graders…) and this new label lacks what the old label provided to me aesthetically.

I have some really big MTG I wanted encapsulated but that probably just will never happen now.

A huge driver of mint raw card and CGC graded MTG market is to get it into a BGS slab but I wouldn’t be surprised if people were turned off

3 Likes

Its odd because within the last month ive noticed bgs slabs to have slightly different colored plastic so i didnt expect such a big change. Not really sure how this will effect my collection goals. Id happily buy the rest i need in the old slabs but they dont exist or are pop 1 since nobody used bgs. Seems like many new graders like it but people with bgs slabs dont

Honestly I want the old label as well, especially considering the card I sent in is (IMO) black label material. Have been saving my first BGS submission for such an occasion, especially since there’s the conspiracy theory that BGS is more generous with people on their first submission.

Thanks for doing that and keep me/us posted!

2 Likes

New website is much needed but the new labels are poopy

2 Likes

I’m curious if this decision was partially driven by manufacturing/product costs. For example, cutting down on the thickness of the slab will likely save the company millions of dollars each year in manufacturing costs.

Change is always a tough pill to swallow, especially if a portion of your collection will no longer match.

1 Like

I agree, and every sport card collector I know HATES this new label and logo. It looks outright cheap

2 Likes

The response on social media seems to be pretty unanimous: that the BGS should not change its slab

Wonder what the odds of a walk-back are. Wonder how many of these cases they have already ordered……

***edit
It looks like BGS is actively saying that these are NOT new slabs and are instead “display pieces” for the event. No idea what’s going on tbh. Maybe it was a test that went very poorly ?

3 Likes

Via this video, the BGS management team is saying these are just concept slab designs. (Which seems legitimate.) I’m sure they’re the designs BGS is leaning toward, but they’re likely looking for consumer feedback and reactions before switching.

1 Like

I like the overall label & font changes, but the Beckett emblem looks way better on the old one to me. Curious to see the slab changes as well. I’m hoping they’re the same dimensions but just thinner.

1 Like

Man, I really really liked the new label. I’m bummed I seem to be in the minority. Oh well.

1 Like

Even if they don’t change it now this has certainly scared me. The good old “rebrand through cost cutting” by butchering their main selling point from a company that is already on the backfoot. Even just the suggestion of it, it’s not a good look.

My confidence in submitting my very best cards to Beckett has actually been increasing this last year, so this was a highly unwanted surprise.

Update from BGS support

3 Likes

I followed up and asked if new orders submitted today would get the old case/label

2 Likes

I think from their numerous posts and now this message saying the design isn’t set in stone indicates they won’t be making that change for awhile. This was to test the waters, and I’m sure they will make an announcement when they plan to switch over to the new labels

1 Like

Not really sure what their marketing team was thinking putting prototype designs out and just not saying anything about them. Why would you let your customers draw conclusions?

5 Likes