BGS, or PSA? (NM Coro Coro Nidoking)

So, I’ve just acquired this card. It’s one of my all time favorites, and I don’t plan on reselling it. However, due to its rarity and condition, I’d like to have it graded. By eye, even under a magnifying glass and LED, the card is completely flawless minus one miniscule white spec on the front bottom edge (everything else pictured is on the static cgc holder).

My question is: do you guys think the centering is ok enough to possibly score a BGS 10? I know the edges will get a 9.5 for sure, so if the centering is off, which in my opinion it is, the card will not receive a 10. On the other hand, this is the easiest PSA 10 I’ve seen. I personally enjoy BGS slabs much more… so I’m trying to decide how badly I want the card to say 10 on it.

Does it really matter? I’d love to have one of the few labeled “10s” in the world, but a BGS 9.5, especially a strong one, would easily be seen as a PSA 10 despite saying 9.5. I’m sorry if this is a jumbled mess of a post, but I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts on something like this!

You’re gonna get directed to post in the grading megathread www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-professional-grading-thread/30930/1

Oh whoops.

I’ll go post there now

In Pokemon currently, PSA 10s always will outsell BGS 9.5 regardless even if it has strong subs or is ‘true Gem’ or whatever else. People pay for the 10 label. If you think it could get a BGS 10 though it does sort of technically put into a slightly higher tier condition-wise, but I think it’s a little more niche in Pokemon and you would probably do just fine if it scored a 10 from PSA on the market.

If you have no plans to sell it, I honestly prefer the BGS slab overall so it’d be my choice in that sense for the personal enjoyment of the card itself.

This is also just my opinion and experience across collecting PSA and BGS in Pokemon, MTG and Sports.

2 Likes

PSA, especially if it hits a 10.

3 Likes