BGS 8.5 to PSA 9 Crossover

Hey guys, I’m new here so sorry if this has been answered before elsewhere. Recently picked up a BGS 8.5 Neo Discovery Espeon with a visible white spot on the bottom edge. Has anyone had any success crossing BGS 8.5 cards into PSA 9?

An upgrade is usually the exception, not the norm.

4 Likes

It’ll really depend on the rest of the card condition/sub-grades. I have PSA 9s with that type of whitening on some parts of the card edges and it’s fairly minor. If you were hoping to re-sell it as a PSA 9 it will only bump it up a bit on the market and with the current prices of grading/wait times it may or may not be worth it. I’d probably just enjoy it in the Beckett slab as-is.

If you do decide to cross-grade it, you may have better luck cracking it out and submitting raw is what most people claim.

It depends a lot on the aubs. Bgs cares a lot more about centering and corners than other companies do. I’m not sure If cgc weighs all subs equally

I’ll keep this in mind as a general rule, thanks!

Entirely sub dependant

1 Like

After grading quite a few through CGC now they seem to consider all defect/detractors with equal significance. And usually pretty harshly. My average for pack fresh Japanese holos was around 8.75.

Depends on the subs, if it’s 2x 10 and 2x 8.5 then you may have a chance, but if it’s more of a regular 8.5 (3x 8.5 1x 8 sub) than you’re out of luck Im afraid.

Can’t rely on the subs. That was a graders opinion at another company.
Without seeing detailed pics, it’s hard to say, but even then it would be a guess.

Rather than a crossover, you could crack and go for a fresh grade.
Either way, it’s a risk. Not sure what the goal is, but you could try anyway and get knowledge/experience from it.

1 Like

I have asked this question on a separate forum and gotten similar answers. Basically a BGS 8.5 is a BGS 8.5 and you probably can’t infer anything else from that.

That being said, I still regret not buying that BGS 8.5 on the off chance it could be upgraded (I didn’t have subgrades to go by though which might have influences me one way or the other).

I had a BGS 8.5 card with 3x 9.5 ratings and a 7.5 for the centering.
I cracked the card and sent it to PSA hoping to receive a 9. In the end my card got the 8

But I’m pretty sure its heavily luck dependent.

Graded hundreds of bgs and PSA. Def first thing is grading can be random….did your grader get divorced night before or laid? And it’s true….ya just never know.

I’ll say I don’t ever send slabs, gotta crack and sub as new for crossover. If you send full slab in with 8.5 and expect PSA to 9….prolly 10% chance.

If you crack and sub, depends on the condition and grader. (And If we talking modern Pokémon versus wotc holos bc damn PSA hard on them now).

In general I find it hard to think an 8.5 will 9 much with PSA. I’ve found most 9.5s and “true gems” won’t cross half time either - PSA for 10s has gotten much more strict with centering….and everything gotten harder with vintage stuff bc of pop control etc etc.

So I’d say If really want to, crack and sub low so don’t potentially waste a bunch of money.

Never know tho, I typically send PSA 9s to try to 9.5 with pretty decent success, but maybe it’ll work, can’t know less ya send.

I’ve had success esp more recently with wotc stuff crossing PSA 9 and getting bgs 9.5 or psa 8 and bgs 9 (or a Corocoro mew PSA gave a 7 that bgs gave a 9).

PSA is just tough as hell on old stuff now. Newer more leeway.

Number one thing is do what ya want and comfy with. If you don’t crack it just don’t send…PSA at gonna look at another company lower grade and give it a higher PSA grade haha ya know? Vice versa id think as well…everyone thinks they the best