Best newer set for me to collect?

Hi!

I’m the kind of guy who collected the early WOTC sets and only really liked Gen I (Gen II and III are ok though). However, I recently bought some newer packs and really enjoyed opening them and some of the artwork. So I was thinking I should give one of the newer sets a try and start collecting, because I really miss the excitement of opening packs. I’ve made some research about newer sets, but I was hoping you guys can give me some advice about which the best are to collect.

What I’m looking for:

1. Beautiful artwork.
  2. Not super expensive to buy a booster box (below $200).
  3. Preferably with many Gen I pokemon and/or the cooler ones from Gen II & III, but not necessary.
  4. Ken Sugimori artwork would be a nice bonus

The ones I’m considering right now is Primal clash and Ancient origins. The XY series seems to be cool overall.

Thanks!

1 Like

Look up Shining legends from last year. Should not be too expensive. Also, check out the recent Japanese SM8 Super burst impact. It mainly consists of Gen II and have full arts of Suicune, Tyranitar and Lugia. Unfortunately, in English it is merged with two other sets into a massive abomination called Lost Thunder.

3 Likes

Personally I don’t like modern era English packs, but the two exceptions I have given myself in collecting were Shining Legends and Generations, these packs should not be too expensive and they were never released in booster boxes, only through special sets (such as elite trainer, super premium or special boxes which included 1 or 2 of these packs).

1 Like

Ditto makes a point here. Plus it gave it more of a challenge.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

I really liked Shining legends, and Japanese SM8 Super burst impact is nice as well (especially that epic Lugia). Will most likely get both, although it’s a little tricky to get the Japanese cards.

Btw, “abomination” was a very accurate description of Lost Thunder.

Take a peak at the ultra shiny set.

1 Like

I don’t really collect any modern product currently because of the fact that WOTC era Pokemon cards are so nostalgic. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate some of the newer stuff.

As a set, I really like Shining Legends. Personally, I’d go with that one. It sort of has an old school vibe which I like.

As for individual cards…and this is an unpopular opinion…but I do like the Hyper Rare Charizard (but only as a PSA 10).

All in all, look at the set cards from the sets people suggest here, find your favorite and buy both packs to open and packs to keep sealed. That way you can appreciate the set as a whole.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for more tips!

I really agree about WOTC sets being the best. The reason I want a newer set is because I miss the feeling of opening packs.

I am trying to convince myself to not buy a base set booster box and open, because it’s so expensive and a shame to open sealed collector’s item.

I am thinking of perhaps spending the money on completing a PSA 7-8 1st ed base set collection instead. Already have Charizard and Blastoise so I have a good start. Probably a better investment as well, should I want to sell later.

My idea is to buy Shining legends for opening packs and not having to trouble about value.

Should I go for completing the 1st ed base set?

1 Like

So I kind of went through the same thing you did a year ago or so.
Shining Legends has been great.
Another set that I never hear about (maybe because it is a really small 34 card set…or maybe it’s unpopular…idk) is Double Crisis from XY. When I saw a few cards from this set a couple of years ago I was immediately drawn to the art work. It is fairly inexpensive and doesn’t get a lot of talk anywhere but I personally really like it. It was really quick and fun master set and was a very quick achievable goal that pushed me further into the hobby. www.pokellector.com/sets/DCR-Double-Crisis

Definitely go for the 1st edition base set! Collect the holos in whatever grade you can afford, with the Blastoise and Charizard out of the way you have a great jump start.

I would also agree that opening a base set booster box is not the best idea. You’ll pay a hefty price for the joy of opening packs. It may be worth it to you, but think long before deciding to do so.

Others have suggested great options for modern packs, I loved opening Shining Legends.

Sounds like you would like XY evolutions. It’s a base set reprint with all the oldies and goodies plus some nice secret rares.

1 Like

Appreciate the input!
Will go for the 1st ed base set, will be expensive but I feel it’s worth it.
Also gonna start with Shining legends :grin:

Actually did not like Evolutions for some reason. Thought I would but was not that excited…

Generations

Shining legends

Dragon Majesty

These set not distributed in normal booster box are the probably the best choice if you want to collect an english set. Not really sure about the japanese side, but i read a lot of good things about ultra shiny gx (forget to ever complete it)

I’ll throw a vote in for Shining Legends. I did a binder collection of this set. Its the only Modern set I’ve done with the exception of opening a burning shadows booster box. Early this year when I got back into collecting I wanted to open some packs and start a modern binder collection. At the time I wasn’t all that crazy about full art cards. So the subtle embossed Shinings grabbed me from this set. I think they look great and have been overall pleasantly satisfied with the set as a whole.

I’ve just recently started to appreciate the full art cards, really didn’t like them before. Sometimes they’re pretty cool!

Btw, do you have to buy all the different boxes to collect Shining legends? Not at all familiar with pin collections, special collections etc. But that’s the only way to get boosters right? And the difference between them are which promotional cards you get, which are cards not really part of the set?

1 Like

It took me a while to warm up to them as well. Glad I’m not the only one. :slight_smile:

You’ve got it. The boosters of sets like Generations, Shining Legends and Dragons Majesty all came exclusively from those boxes like the pin collections, GX boxes, etc. So there were no official 36-booster boxes like other sets would have. However, a lot of stores also offer the option to buy loose boosters, so you don’t have to pay more money for stuff you don’t want and it also saves you quite a bit on shipping costs.
Most of the promo cards included in those boxes are the so-called Black Star promos. Whether you like to count them as part of the set is up to you. But for me personally, I like to think of Black Star promos as their own set.

From the newer sets, I would only buy the cards that I like… I would only collect 1st edition WOTC sets.

If you are going for something for the thrill of the hunt, and without breaking the bank, I would go for the japanese VS set. Amazing artwork and it also has some added rarity because it was never released in english…

Collecting the full reverse evolutions set was something I enjoyed. Reverse base set charizard, pikachu etc look really nice and are worth getting even if you already have the original base set imop. You could also collect the promos from xy or sm eras which have a nice variety of cards. I wouldn’t bother collecting a full modern English set apart from evolutions otherwise personally. Japanese is another story as the sets are much better designed. The new ultra shiny gx for example.

Xy or S&M promos are also great

@megazone, Thanks for the explaination!

@lorenzord, WOTC sets are indeed the best. As you mentioned I’m after the thrill of the hunt (and opening packs), so I appreciate the suggestion, thanks :blush:

@alovell, Yeah I’ve seen some and they often look great!

@matticus, This might be a stupid question, but what’s the deal with reverse holos? Can any card of the set be a reverse holo? Does the card still have the same number or are there two of a card, like some cards in e.g. Jungle? I know reverse holos are a thing nowadays, but I’m still sceptical from back in the day when reverse holos were a typical thing found in fake cards (along with like 3500 HP and 850 in attack power)