Beckett Gold Pristine 10s

With Black Labels becoming highly popular for many people, are we seeing Gold Pristine 10s becoming less valuable?

Do you think they will hold value long term?

In the past, I used to see them be valued more than PSA 10s for certain cards like Base Charizard and other high valued ones. Now I’m not so sure. Psychologically speaking, people definitely like seeing a 10 on the label vs 9.5. However, in Pokemon, I’m not sure if anyone likes seeing Beckett on the slab at this point. By and large the market prefers PSA for the majority of cards and CGC for everything else it seems.

4 Likes

There is also the problem that most dislike Beckett because of there terrible experiences with grading there cards from them , hence why your not seeing too much Beckett on the market too as I think this could be the reason. People staying away from their company.

Never hear good things about BGS anymore. Very sad.

2 Likes

They’re also the most expensive of the three, unbelievably slow, and charge you up front.

It is interesting you say that, as i have heard negative things from most grsding companies. But i have heard by far the most negativity about PSA.

Most people who collect and grade Pokemon cards use PSA so naturally more people = more complaints.

Overall tho PSA has the best reputation among all grading companies for Pokemon cards. Regardless of one’s personal views on their service and grading standards, they remain the gold standard.

7 Likes

I think in the end it will just come down to what you want out of a grading service. If I was planning to re-sell, I’d probably go PSA every time to maximize liquidity and re-sale value for any given card since they are the largest collector pool in Pokemon. For personal collection purposes with no re-sell, I’d probably consider CGC or BGS. CGC definitely has a nice clarity to the slab and BGS slabs are very protective.

I’d say 97% of my slab purchases are PSA just because I have found they’ve met my condition standards, especially for non-mint cards. I collected a few CGC 9.5s before the grading thing changed and I like them just fine too. So in the end, it’s best to go with what fills your requirements when it comes to graded cards and not get too caught up in all the other noise/opinions that are often thrown around a bit carelessly at times. The bad experiences people have often fill the air much more easily than the countless good experiences people have with any given company.

1 Like

PSA has roughly 80% of the market share in Pokemon and BGS is probably closer to 1%. Of course most complaints will be about PSA given this huge imbalance.

Since CGC opened up TCG grading, BGS has been pushed to the verge of irrelevancy with the black label being its only life support. It’s sad because they tried to pivot and make positive changes to their grading/label but chickened out.

10 Likes

Pristine 10s will probably stay afloat, but BGS is still a company that grades 9.5 Gem Mint. That may be incentive to resubmit to PSA or CGC for the premiums that come with a Gem Mint 10 if they’re unable to achieve Pristine 10 or higher

2 Likes

I see no reason why BGS Pristine 10s will ever be relevant in Pokemon. As others have said, Black Labels are the only saving grace for BGS in Pokemon.

2 Likes

Introducing the BGS 11

I’m sure they’re kicking themselves, shouldn’t have listened to their existing customers, theyre irrelevant. They had the right idea, CGC just shut people up with the free upgrade.

1 Like

Like another has said , more people choose PSA hence why there’s more complaints most likely but most go with them as they have the best over all experience as well compared too BGS who are terrible with customer service , and CGC that most don’t think they hold value as much from what I have read

I’m sure the 3 pristine 10 1st Ed base charizards are worth less than psa 10s.

1 Like

Pristine 10 is still significant in the vintage high end.

With newer cards going forward it is definitely an awkward place. Which I guess kind of makes CGC’s choice make more sense now that I think about it.

1 Like

Depends on what cards. Certain cards like MTG vintage, 9.5 is like god-send “black label”.

For modern cards, I’ll take a 10 gold label anytime. Black label is an overpriced and overhyped marketing gimmick, without which nobody will sub to BGS (take a black label card, break slab and resub, you won’t get back a black label).

Won’t mind receiving a black label as grading results but definitely won’t buy it.

99% of pokemon cards look best in PSA slabs, only a minority of certain cards look great in BGS slabs.

MTG cards only look great in BGS slabs, in PSA slabs they look crappy.

CGC is a big No-no for many people, including me. Won’t ever send my cards there even if they grade for free.