Base Pikachu artwork card variations

Not sure I’ll remember but when I come across it I certainly will:)

My fav is the vhs deck one. Absolutely love it!

loved the article. thank you for taking the time to write it Quuador! def enjoyed reading it :blush:

Just one more arrival (French Reverse Holo), then I will update it with all 15 XY Evolutions Pikachus. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

Pikachu Power Deck Pika is missing! This thread is very well written and organized by the way.

Down by CP6 where he has Japanese and Korean he mentions that English/German/French/Italian/Spanish are coming in the three variations of each (regular, reverse holo, and theme deck variant) once he has them all, and in the post above mentions he is only missing the french theme deck one at the moment.

Ok, the French Reverse Holo XY Evolutions Pikachu has arrived. I’ve updated the original article with all 15 XY Evolutions variations (5x XY Evolutions Theme Deck; 5x Reverse Holo; 5x non-Holo - for the languages English, German, French, Italian and Spanish), as well as one misprint I came across (and which I will hopefully be able to buy soon).

Greetz,
Quuador

Added some missing ones: Miniature Phone Charm Promo; Ultra Jumbo; and Red Cheeks with 1st edition stamp imprinted on the back.
Also added some pictures, like the: Albino Jumbo; Autographed Jumbo; sun-bleached Korean Pikachu World Collection. And modified some text, like the Grey Stamp.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Added the Red Cheeks with White Back imprinted stamp.

And some interesting information has been retrieved from Mitsuhiro Arita himself through Facebook. His original Base Pikachu artwork was with Red Cheeks. Later on, WotC employees noticed the lightning bolts in the artwork, and changed the cheeks to yellow because of it, without Mitsuhiro Arita’s permission. Neither the Red Cheeks nor Yellow Cheeks are misprints, as most of us already know, but the Red Cheeks are Mitsuhiro Arita’s original artwork and the Yellow Cheeks are a modified version of his artwork by WotC employees.

An interesting piece of information about the Red and Yellow Cheeks Base Pikachu I thought was worth sharing here. I’ve also edited this information in the main article.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

An awesome guide! Thank you!
Do you know if the difference between Spanish - Latin America and Spanish - European works for base set holos too?

From @charchu I’ve heard there isn’t any 1999-2000 version for Spanish holos. I’ve never seen them before, but I’ve also never looked for them, so I honestly don’t know whether they exist or not. All I know is that the variation exists for Pikachu, since I have it in my possession. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Added the Thin Stamp Red Cheeks and Teach Set 2000 variations. Also fixed some broken image links; added all the XY Evolutions miscut I have and pictures of the Maroon background XY Evolutions Pikachu; provided all autograph information for the autographed Jumbo Pikachu I have; and edited some outdated information all around.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Good point about the Japanese card being with Yellow cheeks, and released a few years before the Red Cheeks 1st edition. I do know that the every time I hear about the Red Cheeks Pikachu I usually also hear it wasn’t considered a misprint. I’ve heard that loads of times. They initially released it with Red Cheeks, and later changed it to Yellow Cheeks. But it was more of an artwork errata than an actual misprint correction (except for the E3 Red Cheeks). Kinda like how Shadowless cards were later changed to the shadowed borders.

I remember asking Mitsuhiro Arita on his FB for confirmation when I heard the information you’ve quoted above, but all he said was:

Which I interpret as: sorry, but I cannot say anything about it, nor am I allowed to even if I want to say anything about it. But this was me randomly messaging him for the first time. My friend actually met him a few times, and talked with him in person about this. And I’m sure mister Arita is probably able to tell more about this to people that actually know him well.

Anyway, in this particular case I can’t really back up the statements personally, since they were made by a friend who talked with mister Arita about it. You are indeed right that it’s odd the Japanese ones are Yellow Cheeks and unrelated to WotC.

Greetz,
Quuador

Update: added the English unlimited edition copyright strikethrough misprint; discolored XY Evolutions Reverse Holo misprint; and French Jumbo Base Set Pikachu from a Belgium tournament.

Greetz,
Quuador

Man you guys care too much about base set

Fantastic guide for the Pikachu obsessives of the world!

I was just having a look around for info on any “gold” or darker bordered Pikachu production runs for an Instagram post, and haven’t been able to find anything.

As you can see, the rest of the card is the same colour/saturation as normal.

Anyone know which print run this is likely from (it has a matt stock texture)?

1 Like

Color differences were pretty normal for WotC era cards (and even booster packs). Some of my Base Set Pikachu cards are also with darker yellow borders than others. Although it looks cool to have both a dark and light bordered English unlimited edition ©1999 version next to each other like that, I personally deem it as an acceptable color variation that I don’t really see as a new variations based on color alone. Kinda similar as the light and dark purple backgrounds on the XY Evolution Pikachus I’ve showed, which I don’t really deem as a variation either. The blue and maroon ones are a different story however. Having said that, the lighter one is probably a completely matte copy and the one with darker colors is a completely semi-glossy copy. The matte and semi-glossy Base Pikachu cards I have in my collection both have similar colors as in those pictures.

I have seen a Base Set 2 Pikachu with very dark yellow border before, which is way darker than either of the two in the picture above, which I would deem as an error variation in terms of color, instead of minor color difference:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Thanks, Quuador!

That Base Set 2 example is a thing of beauty. I appreciate the extra insight there; all of the Unlimited Pikachu’s I own (or have come across in person) have been the lighter colour prints, as opposed to the darker example I posted, hence why it caught my eye.

Could be a case that the UK received more of the lighter production runs, as opposed to the wider variation that the US had?

It’s very cool to see the sheer scale of variety Base Pikachu comes in.

1 Like

https://instagram.com/p/CJ_TdzILoFd

2 Likes

Thank you so much for making this guide! This has helped a ton! Wish there was an easier way to identify the CD Promo Pikachu thought :blush:

1 Like