Barbecue Enthusiasts

Looking to see if there are other backyard smokers and wannabe grillmasters out there. Let’s share experiences, equipment, recipes and whatever else.

14 Likes

I LOVE BBQ

1 Like

My dad just bought a smoker, looks like I’m going to have to move out of my grandma basement back into theirs. :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Reverse searing some ribeyes tonight

5 Likes

ITT

6 Likes

You guys dont have fences between houses?

How do you know where to stop mowing!?

8 Likes

I’ve been watching a lot of The American Barbecue Showdown on Netflix lately.

It always gobsmacks me how much you USA members love your bbq, but when I was in the heart of Nashville those ribs were ginormous and that pulled pork was fantastic. It’s a shame that Canadians don’t have a signature “dish” like many of the other countries… You think about things like fish & chips for UK, seafood for Japan, patisseries, escargot and wine for France… but what about Canada?

Maple Syrup isn’t really a dish by itself, and poutine varies by region… lol

Either way keep these BBQ pics coming! I miss being able to go and get some, hopefully someday soon (but when everything is better obv)

2 Likes

Taste the Meat not the Heat. Propane for me.

2 Likes

haha you just kind of learn. We will be putting up a fence at some point this year. Very new community. Just finished building these houses last summer

1 Like

I want to get a small propane grill to go with my pellet. Want something quick and easy. Sometimes it’s annoying waiting 20 minutes for the pellet to get to temperature…

heh. that was actually my first thought too… where do you stop watering?

Maybe they each take turns doing the whole thing… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Food in general but especially BBQ in particular is a bit of a passion of mine. My dad has custom built several smokers and we’ve done quite a few whole pig roast parties. Some day maybe when I’m semi retired I’ve played with the idea of having a food truck and setting up a weekend or two a month over the summer. I know some people in the business and you can do quite well with it if you know how to make good food.

I’ve also been working the past few years on perfecting a KC style BBQ sauce -my favorite style (working on others just harder when I don’t like them as much). I know I know… good meat shouldn’t and doesn’t need sauce but a good sauce can make anything taste good and KC style I can put on about anything.

I’ll have photos to share once I can dig through some old hard drives.

4 Likes

My girlfriend’s family owns a barbecue restaurant north of Ft. Wayne, Indiana and I’ve only been able to try it once when they drove it down to Atlanta for a family gathering, but I swear it’s the best barbecue I’ve ever had, and I live in Dallas.

Once things open up more, I’m planning a trip down to Franklin’s in Austin. Long term, the dream includes a home with all the essentials like a wood fire pizza oven and a smoker. I’ll be inviting the family down to share some recipes :wink:

3 Likes

Just because poutine varies by region doesn’t mean it can’t be the signature dish of Canada. If you think BBQ doesn’t change based on where you are in America, then you’d be quite surprised as people debate all the time about which state has the best BBQ. If you thought Nashville was good, then you need to come to Texas and get some brisket.

Have you been to the Pecan Lodge in Dallas? I tried them out when I went up to a Dallas Hockey game for the New Year and they were miles ahead of anywhere else I’ve been, although I haven’t been to Franklin’s yet.

1 Like

My laugh of the day…which I needed lol.

2 Likes

I wish I did bbq. Love it

1 Like

I’m a coal man myself, I have a pretty decent one. It’s a lot of extra work and maintenance but it’s worth it. Would really like to have a propane one as well, such a timesaver and the coal is at it’s best when doing big volume with a lot of fat.

Last time I got the coal to peak performance, I did a big batch of chops from mountain pigs. So much fat on those, pure magic.

With the right kind of food, nothing beats an open fire in the woods. Whole fish, fatty sausages impaled on birch branches, charred stick bread, banana in aluminium foil stuffed with chocolate and thrown into the embers, totally delicious.

1 Like

I have! That’s about 15 minutes from where I live, and I love it. Fun fact - Masakazu Fukuda requested Texas barbecue when he came to Dallas last year and Pecan Lodge is where we took him.

1 Like

I’m getting lazy in my old age.

I have a pellet smoker (Traeger Ironwood 650) with wifi control from my phone. Just did some Pork Butts (21 pounds worth) and the 17 hour smoke is so much easier this way. Put them on autopilot at midnight and went to sleep. Got through the stall by Noon, and an automatic alarm let me know to go down and wrap them. Had the Pork resting in my oven with a ton of veggies getting smoked by 5 pm and everything was perfect for dinner at 7.

Did a pair of 16 lb turkeys a few weeks ago and plan some beef roasts next week.

3 Likes

Smoked Jamaican Jerk Party Wings for the Fam. This is definitely a cook I want to bring to parties and family get togethers

10 Likes