Artists you wish had more cards

I recently came across some art on cards I loved, but didn’t recognise the artist name, only to find out they had barely any illustrations.

Are there any artists you wished were able to contribute more to the franchise? I’ll give a couple examples:

Emi Yoshida (4 cards):

Aimi Tomita (3 cards):

Sachi Matoba (2 cards):

Looking forward to potentially learning about new artists :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Kunihiko Yuyama


8 Likes

One that immediately came to mind: Christopher Rush (who’s better known for his MTG artworks), with a single Pokémon artwork:

Greetz,
Quuador

20 Likes

8 Likes

Would’ve been interested to see more of DemizuPosuka.

10 Likes

Hiromichi Sugiyama

  • Illustrated less than 40 cards
  • Last original artwork in EX era (POP Series 4)
  • Most recent appearances are for reprinting his Switch artwork



Keiji Kinebuchi
Despite illustrating a great part of Base Set cards, for subsequent expansions the amount of original artworks decreased. (Even back then, his artworks tended to be reprinted)

Sadly, Kinebuchi passed away around 2002.
His current appearances in TCG are just reprints of his past works.

Last original artwork appeared in Aquapolis



14 Likes

It’s SO awesome to see artists cards all together. Like for Sugiyama, you can clearly see the (no pun) direction they want their art to be/do.

Awesome stuff to see!

2 Likes

This one is a bit of a stretch because this artists has about 20 artworks but I wish so-taro did more cards, just imagine the Umbreon and Darkrai Tag Team artstyle on modern AR/SAR, such an absolute banger it would be !

11 Likes

I’ve always LOVED the legend cards and think its really neat that they had someone like Shinji Higuchi to help illustrate them and a few other cards.

7 Likes

I love most of Yamashita’s art, but will just pretend the Raichu doesn’t exist..

1 Like

Oku has only a dozen cards. Been a fan since Scizor.

9 Likes

I wish Keiko Fukuyama had more cards her art is just so cute

5 Likes

Sumiyoshi Kizuki has made a ton of cards for pokemon, but over time she went away from her distinct, crayon-style look that I really loved. I’m sure she had her reasons for doing so but would love to see a return one day to that style again.

11 Likes

Hideaki Hakozaki has done 36 cards but very few in the style I find most distinctive and memorable - ones that feel like an actual video game world.

Most of their cards are Primes with a couple Call Of Legends:


6 Likes

Hataya

The only artist I started doing an artist binder for, and then was left hanging. They have a total of 9 cards, and I particularly like the half-art (un)commons. Their last card was from 2023, so at this point I just assumed there’s nothing else in the works.

Bonus unofficial content:

16 Likes

I will never pass up a chance to rally behind bringing back Hataya for tcg art. I am so so so desperate for new art. Hataya makes art I’d just in general put on my wall. Its some strange and beautiful original creature designs. And I’d love to see them give Hataya some more organic shaped pokemon. Sylvalley would be a great choice, and also would have been so perfect for the ancient paradox pokemon, but alas, we are done with paradox forms.

I am one of Hataya’s greatest cheerleaders.

5 Likes

That Bronzong is one of my favourite arts of all time, it stands out every time I see it. I’m sad to hear they seemingly don’t work with Pokemon anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

Excellent mention as i’ve also admired a lot of Hakozaki’s cards, the venomoth for example is a masterpiece :slight_smile: i also had this thread in a tab and i was ready to praise Hataya once again but i see that already got done, and like mentioned above i don’t ever want to miss a chance to join the choire of fans missing Hataya’s work.

I do have some other artists to mention too. I love this rhyhorn by mt. TBT and it feels like shame there’s only one other card made by them

Other artist that should be mentioned here is Hiroki Fuchino, only 11 different arts but i would have loved to see the soft style continue

And of course Sachiko Adachi has to be mentioned too, around 40 cards is a lot more than many other artists mentioned here but the extremely unique and recognisable style should have stayed for longer

6 Likes

Definitely would have loved Hajime Kusajima come back to do more illustrations but he stopped in 2018. He had a generational run in the e-series-DPPt eras with bangers like Expedition Mew, Crystal Ho-oh, Skyridge Starmie, Sandstorm Solrock/Lunatone, Unseen Forces Typhlosion, Celebi Movie promo, Delta Species Gyarados and Ninetales, Platinum Giratina, and the Supreme Victors Milotic (normal & shiny). The interesting thing about his work is that he switched between 3-4 distinct art styles and had masterful use of color. Truly an incredible artist and is sorely missed in the tcg.

12 Likes

Taku Anekawa, a capital A artist, who only made these two cards.

6 Likes