Are Pokémon Center Promo cards still a thing?

Hey Guys,

I am currently planing another trip to Japan after seven years. In preparation, I wanted to check out upcoming and recent Promo cards from Japaneses Pokémon Centers and other Japaneses stores. But I could barely find anything. Maybe the Pichu Promo and a view other cards, but in comparison to 7 years ago, I found barely any promotions. Did the Pokémon center and other stores in Japan reduce the amount of promos?

Maybe it was due to Covid? Would be interesting if something knows about the distribution rate pre 2020. I have the feeling they reduced the number of promotional card they are giving out via store promotions.

I’m only aware of 2 upcoming promos: Pokemon Scarlet & Violet w/ the pikachu promo card, and the 12th Gym promo set which I’m guessing packs will be given with purchases

2 Likes

Encouraging ravenous people to crowd shopping centers for consumer goods became something of a cultural faux pas during Covid. There was a ton of bad press and backlash when the PS5 was released and people lost their minds in a Yodobashi Camera. Pokémon Centers were even closed for a while. Now that the situation has eased up they might start doing more in store promotions.

3 Likes

there was that new one that opened up with arcanine as the mascot. they released a playmat, but i haven’t seen anything about a promo for it yet.

1 Like

No, in regions where TCG is released by TPC (basically all regions in Asia except Korea and Singapore), Pokémon Gyms refer to Pokémon Centers or local game shops (LGS) authorized to sell TCG products and hold organized play. (Note: Pokémon Stores are NOT Pokémon Gyms because they do not have the required playing space for organized events.)

Pokémon Gym packs are packs given as prizes to participants of organized events in Pokémon Gyms. You don’t get them through purchases, you need to fight for them.

1 Like