Anyone Feel a Little Nervious about their $15 PSA Subs?

My last sub is 14 10s ,1 8, and 1 7 that did better than I expected. I’ve only had 1 card in my past 3 submissions of about 70 cards that was dramatically lower than I expected. Like @hermit I also am really hard on cards before I send them in, so that probably has a large contributing factor.

3 Likes

IMO alot of people who are the loudest about this stuff are mostly ignorant, wether it’s organic ignorance or butt hurt ignorance. Being hammered with “bad grades” and/or parroting that PSA/BGS/CGC/etc has changed their standards without actual documented evidence/company statement, usually speaks to a person’s inexperience with pregrading and grading in general.

I think we are all guilty of having “blinders” on with some of the cards we choose to submit. I for one am guilty of submitting cards that I deep down knew were 8/9 canidates but i tricked myself into thinking they were 10 canidates. Only to have it come back a 7. Yeah, it sucks the big one when that happens but after years of doing this I’ve learned to chuckle and call myself a dumbass for doing it. Instead of raging to anyone and everyone about how PSA/CGC/BGS/ETC are trash because of “insert conspiracy here”.

Granted, sometimes a card is genuinely misgraded but its the exception and not the rule.

9 Likes

Nope I’m still doing very well on my subs. 90% 9s and 10s, Once in a while there’s a 5 chucked in there but it’s so rare.

1 Like

i think it also kinda depends on what cards are being graded and supposedly hammered with lower grades. if they’re older cards, it could just be a reflection of the condition that’s most currently available on the market.

either way, there’s definitely some rng involved in grading. like sometimes you get shiny pokemon way under odds, sometimes they go way over, sometimes they’re right on the nose. it’s hard to get upset at a possible outcome when you’ve chosen to roll those dice!

1 Like

Absolutely seconding this, it has become way harder to find mint cards for vintage English and even Japanese with the advent of grading in Japan. Also on an anecdotal level, I already submitted the majority of my slam-dunk 10 cards awhile ago with the $30 value, $18 special, and $15 October special. Now I’m down to the cards I was iffy on sending then because they were borderline. I may get a bunch of 9s back, but they’re probably justified. I feel like other people are probably in the same boat.

7 Likes

The first sentence is my next tattoo, im sure of it.

1 Like

great point! this translates with people’s pull rates online as well imo.

reddit is designed for the sexy pulls to rise to the top and it creates this echo chamber where whenever a new set drops, every post is the chase card. then, without fail, the next week of posts are all “did I open a resealed pack?” “evolving cries, chilling pain, frown zenith” etc etc

6 Likes

Ok ok… I understand now. I guess I don’t have too much faith in my pre-grading process lol

Also those CGC’s slabs I bought at raw card price, cracked, and they all got 10’s STONKS :chart_with_upwards_trend: :chart_with_upwards_trend: :chart_with_upwards_trend:

12 Likes

Good morning all. I’ll add to this topic. In my most recent sub I thought it would be fun to do a do a crack and resend project for older wotc cards and some older ex including 7 9s that I feel had a decent shot at a 10.

EVERY 9 down graded → to 8
4 6s → 8
10 8s → 6
3 7s → same grade
2 7s → 8

Not the type of thing you want to see on a Tuesday morning :sleepy:

Edit: All cards were 54xxxxx certs English holos from wotc and early ex cards

6 Likes

They pulled a Uno Reverse Card on ya :cry:

2 Likes

I now have the grades for all 3 of my most recent $15 subs. The first they were pretty bad in comparison to what I was expecting (8 or 9 cards got 8s, and there were fewer 10s than I expected), but the other two were pretty much in line with my expectations.

I don’t know if it means anything, but my first sub actually shipped out from New Jersey. I started articulating some thoughts on this but it became a bit long and I don’t think people would care to hear my disjointed ramblings lol

3 Likes

Ay whadda ya sayin 'bout New Joisy! Fuggedaboutit, im walkin here!

2 Likes

Update.

Almost all of the cards that I cracked and resent in now have more wear on the corners. Below you will find images of the same exact card scans of the slab before and after. Perhaps the PSA scan picked up light on the card differently as Fourthstar mentioned. Ill update once i have them in hand.

I’m not sure I follow here, Do you have these cards in hand or are you going off the PSA scans? The PSA scans are pretty low quality, especially on the recent bulk subs. The scans on the left look a lot brighter, so any corner issues might just be more easily picked up there than in the ones on the right.

2 Likes

I have send hundreds of never touched (only by me opening packs years ago) holo and reverses of Ex series and got hammered with 9’s and a few 8’s.
Not getting a single 10 on over 500 cards which are packfresh is insane.

I am sending in batches of 30 now, not in 200 anymore.

5 Likes

Eventually the PSA scale is going to succumb to its own weaknesses. How can you have a 1 size fits all scale of 1-10 that applies to dozens (hundreds?) of different card games, printed over a hundred years? Is a card that was sloppily manufactured 20+ years ago actually the same quality as a freshly printed modern Japanese card with outstanding material and the latest printing technology? Well if they both have a 10 on the label some would say yes. Is PSA looking at older cards and comparing them to modern standards or does each era live in its own quality bubble?

My tinfoil hat response is that PSA has been exposed to so much modern product that is just better than older cards and it’s reflected in the grades that older cards actually are just worse quality.

4 Likes

Hello all. I just received my regrade sub back and my oh my. The corners look absolutely horrid for some of them. Not near the condition I sent them in. Mind you I have subbed with PSA countless times and take proper precautions in pre-shipment. I’ll update this comment with pictures before and after.

2 Likes