Anyone collect Legos?

No, I didn’t know about back then, not sure how it passed me by, but I would of played the heck out of it had I known. I really associate Rock Raiders with the Disney film Atlantis, I was probably obsessed with both for a time. And, like you, I hope to someday be able to play with them with my kids.

This is for everyone: Were/are you the kind to follow the instructions or did you build your own creations?

Me, I was a total instruction pedant. Everything was by the book.

1 Like

I’ve still got all my Lego as well :blush: I should mention my wife and I still buy and build lego together, our personal collection far eclipses what I’ve got sealed for investment reasons. We build and display custom pieces at the major lego exhibitions in Sydney each year which is pretty fun, it’s usually GBCs (great ball contraptions) and lenticular mosaics. This is one we did for the last series of exhibitions that you guys might appreciate.

socialviewers.com/explore/medias/1500545897909380136_1824635722

My favourite sets as a kid were the pirates and castle sets, I’m looking forward to building everything with my daughter when she grows up and Lego is no longer a choking hazard!

1 Like

@thetropicalwoodsman I would build the sets as instructed and keep those intact for play but I also had a bunch of the “freestyle” buckets and built whatever with those.

1 Like

I also collect legos. Mainly the older sets, castle, Star Wars and all of the modular buildings. Here are some quick shots of some of my sets:

13 Likes

Look at those nice modular sets hidden away in the shadows!

1 Like

I still have my 6086 built and on display from what, 20 years ago? It’s my fav just cause of the nostalgia, when I got it as a kid it was so damn cool.

2 Likes

@pierce 6086 is the charizard of castle. Even Rudy commented on one of my videos about the set. My personal favorite is 6090. Both capture what they era is all about.

@scratchdesk When I initially moved, I planned on displaying all of the modular building together. 5 years later, they are still in the shadows. :relieved:

2 Likes

Can I just say quietly that the plural of Lego is Lego? Making me cringe every time I read “Legos”. It’s like calling it Pokémons.

2 Likes

I think it’s an American thing. It’s used here all the time!

1 Like

Well I’ll be. I googled it and indeed it seems it’s an American term. =O

2 Likes

Oh a Lego thread! As a European I grew up with Lego. For 2 years now I am sorting all the Lego of me and my brothers so it can be split apart, browsing websites for missing bricks, building plans etc.

My own, old Lego, is a complete set of Space Police 2 ( brickset.com/sets/theme-space/prices/subtheme-Space-Police-2 ). I am missing a few bricks and obviously the boxes. But I just loved the set when I was young, still love them today.

Last year, for my 30th birthday I picked up these

Also got the Glove Land ride (3816) but no pictures and I really want the complete set. Problem with them though, especially the big sets, were only sold at the Nickelodeon theme parks and their webshops and very limited in retail/standard toy stores. So getting them is quiet a task without having to pay a 4x premium.

5 Likes

Nice collections!

I grew up in the 80’s/90’s and have all my sets from when I was a kid! No boxes though!

1 Like

Anyone grabbed the 2017 Millennium Falcon?
Wonder when it will stop being stocked…

I haven’t grabbed one yet, the $800 MSRP is rather intimidating, however 2 weeks ago a pricing error on Walmart.com allowed a fair amount of people to get them for $600. Based on the current and recent D2C product lifecycles I would predict that it will be around for a minimum of one more year. I don’t think that they will retire it quietly like they do with some of the other themes. The past UCS Star Wars sets have been tagged as “Retiring Soon” online before they go so you should have time. I also think it’s very likely we will see 10% off towards the end of it’s like so you will save money by waiting. Hope this helps.

Are you referring to the UCS?

If so, yep I grabbed one at release.

Myer are currently doing a sale where they are obtainable for $1,099 AUD which is a great deal on them.

What?

Right now?

It might just be your local Myer because the website is showing me $1,299.95

Yeah, I was in Myer and saw it today. The special has been going for quite some time.

Might have expired or not be available online. Worth waiting to see it go on special again.

Well now I’ve planned a trip to Myer / David Jones tomorrow to check it out.

1 Like

I remember playing with these as a kid, still got the tubes. Hours of fun!

1 Like

I have a fair amount of 80s and 90s Legos, including castle, pirates, aquas, Star Wars, and space. The new stuff is just too unique and proprietary for each set IMO. I don’t have too many original boxes left, but almost all my original instruction manuals have survived. I’ll try and get a picture of the stash next time I’m visiting my parents.